Got the Daughter a Tortoise - "WINK, WINK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Well I got my Daughter a baby tortoise, OK that's what I tell everybody anyways, but it was for me. I've always liked them but never had a tortoise, I've had all types of exotics but never a tortoise.

Anyways, My daughter has wanted a turtle for a long while, couple years now, she was hoping for one in the pond out back, but I don't want a turtle snapping at my KOI.

So anyways when we saw one of these baby sulcatas in a pet store, I started researching them and got the bug again myself.

So Sunday we went to a local exotic shop and bought one, with the knowledge it will most likely out live us and end up with my daughters kids.

We named her Peanut, seems right now, but when she's full grown it will be an ironic name like tiny.

She's on a diet of Spring Mix and other things now and than like Nopales and Squash. She goes out side at least once a day for exercise and grazing, plenty of weeds here, still researching what's not safe, but with the current drought here in Texas killing lawns weeds are taking over.

I follow the high humidity advice given here by Tom. But she refuses to sleep in a hide away, no matter how late I put her in it she goes back to here corner in the basking area. I have tried a half cut log and a Tupperware container. She seems happy, so I guess she is gonna do what she is gonna do.

I'd like to thank the people who run this site and the people posting, the info here has been great and highly appreciated.

On to the pics....

peanut01.jpg

Micro Dog checking out the new little one.

peanut02.jpg

peanut03.jpg

peanut04.jpg

The Boy really likes animals, but not big on touching them, same with his Sister, Now their oldest sister has always picked up any creepy crawly.

peanut05.jpg

and the 40 gallon baby home

peanut06.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I am glad you finally broke down and bought yourself a tortoise... I mean got one for your daughter. :p :rolleyes: :D Sounds like what I use to do. :D Peanut looks like a real cutie, too. Glad you have joined us.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi and welcome! Your sulcata and son are both adorable!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome! Have you tried a humid hide for him? You could encourage him to use it by putting a heat pad under the hide, this will help keep the humidity up as well as make him want to use it more if it is warmer inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ripper and a bunch of sevens:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You've said you're in Texas, but may we know your name?

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Sorry, went about Introducing Peanut and forgot about myself.

Hi, I'm Lance and I'm a sucker for Animals, come by it naturally, My father is a big softy when it comes to animals. It's always been a family joke as he is 6'2" and in his younger days a rough tough biker type so to speak, who was known for bar fights and raising hell, not all that friendly to people but man do the animals keep him wrapped. He taught me early on that people can take care of themselves but animals need our protection and respect.

I spent most of life moving around, but Dad finally settled down in a suburb outside Houston Texas and I've been here ever since. I'm 40 now so I've been here for roughly 25 years.

My other not pet related hobbies are Video Games and building RC Trucks.

Back to Peanut, I've done a bit of research on the substrate and it appears my organic cypress mulch is a blend and after inspecting it appears to have other barks in it. So as soon as my son wakes up it will get tossed in the yard and replaced with Eco Earth. I'm not real happy with it any way, it's not very finely shredded.

I'm assuming the Pine Half Log is ok to have in there, I know pine mulch is no good.

Thanks again for the help and warm welcome.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He's a real cutie!! You might also try putting his hide under the night time heat source (heat bulb) to try to get him to use it. Maybe it is not warm enough for him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I happen to like and use the half logs in many of my enclosures. I like the more natural look and the fact the tortoises can climb on it, which some really seem to enjoy. That climbing can be a negative factor for the logs, as if they fall off they may end up on their backs. That is not always a bad thing. Most tortoises learn how to quickly roll themselves back over just fine. However, sometimes, especially with babies, they just haven't learned to do that yet, so you have to be a bit more cautious. The problem is more so, if they are on their backs in water or under a light/lamp that produces a lot of heat. This could possibly kill them due to drowning or overheating.:(

You might want to use something like long strand sphagnum moss in the half log in order to make it more of a humid location for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I keep trying to tell my wife that the NEXT tortoise is for our little girl, but she's not buying it so far...

Some of mine won't sleep in their humid hides either. I don't worry about it too much. I try to put them in there after dark, but usually I just let them come back out if they are determined. IF I had a pyramiding issue, I would block them in there at night.

Your enclosure looks great but I would sink that water bowl into the substrate a bit, so there is not such a high lip for Peanut to climb over. Also remember to keep it warm 24/7 with humidity. Cold and damp is no good for babies.

It seems to me like you, uh hum... I mean your daughter, and Peanut will have a long happy life together. :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Cute little munchkins you've got there! My only concern is with Micro Dog! I've seen smaller dogs than that do great damage to baby tortoises! You'll definitely not want to leave them alone together...EVER! BUT! Don't let that deter you from giving Peanut as much outdoor time as possible!

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
DeanS said:
Cute little munchkins you've got there! My only concern is with Micro Dog! I've seen smaller dogs than that do great damage to baby tortoises! You'll definitely not want to leave them alone together...EVER! BUT! Don't let that deter you from giving Peanut as much outdoor time as possible!

Oh yea, we keep a close eye on the Dogs, I have a Boxer and the wife has a Pug and the chihuahua, we also have a stray Jack/terrier that never found it's way home. But we watch them very close along with the kids feet. We plan to move to a more country setting in a year or so but either way she will be getting her own pin out back with predator protection.

The Coco Coir is soaking now, I also got some scotts organic top soil and Mosser Lee sphagnum moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.