Got the Muzuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
WE got a couple pounds of muzuri in the mail today. My husband ordered it from coastal silkworms. They were fast. Willie ate it up as long as I soaked it in warm water. Ate the semi mushy stuff right outta my hand.. I was getting a little nervous because I hand feed him all the time but that's holding goodies in my finger tips not flat palm with that little beak looking like it could do some damage darting back and forth. Does anyone know if it hurts if they bite you?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes, it can break the skin and or cut you, some FULL grown sullies and aldabras Have taken fingers off/
Its only Okay To hand feed On Occasions or a treat, Some Torts Get Used To Being Handfeed and will only eat if they are!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yes it really hurts, one of the reasons I stopped hand feeding...

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
I have been luckily enough to avoid Comrad's beak the ONE time he tried to taste me. My daughter on the other hand didn't think it would hurt so she allowed him to taste her.... he punctured her skin and she bruised up all around the puncture and YES she said it HURT A LOT! :)

I prefer to not test it and won't be allowing Comrad to try and taste me ;-)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Ya don't let them bite you... Especially as adults. Serious damage!

Arizonasulcata.webs.com

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
My 80lbs Female nailed me..it hurt..but she moves slow so was able to pull my finger out before any damage..Just broke the skin..but the one I am most careful around is tony..he now weighs in at 60lbs..but he snaps at food quickly.. he breaks a 1" thick carrot in half in a quick second ... I'm pretty sure he would do some serious damage..

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
That is all the reasons I was nervous. Willie will take snacks from my finger but I'm extremely careful long nails help. But that whole flat hand.....omg... I will think twice next time. I have had a 10 yr old blue and gold macaw take to my finger thank goodness for rings.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
ok so is hand feed you have to very carefull or jusy don't do it. i have to ask do to the size a sully can be do ever bit when petting them on pick them up. I know the male at my zoo is 186lbs. I was just wondering if they bit just for the heck of it.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have never heard of a sully bitting out of aggression..and I have had some real wrestling matches with Tiny..my other 75lbs male pulling his front leg for an injection...they do have a taste for painted toes...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have never been bitten out of aggresion or for the hech of it, it was always been when I was hand feeding and they let go pretty fast. I have gotten mud and dirt flung at me when mine didn't like what I was doing...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The problem with the big tortoises biting you is that they don't realize its YOU they're biting, and they'll bite harder and start to pull back in order to break off whatever food they think they're getting. I have to hand feed my Aldabrans in order to give them extra calcium, and I learned quite quickly to skewer the morsel instead of using my fingers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tony the tank said:
I have never heard of a sully bitting out of aggression..and I have had some real wrestling matches with Tiny..my other 75lbs male pulling his front leg for an injection...they do have a taste for painted toes...

They will bite the heck of of each other! :D I've never seen one try to bite a human in aggression either.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Mine will sit on my foot to keep me scratching his back, I did learn really fast to wear closed toed shoes when in his habitat - loves my painted toe nails but I've never given him a chance to taste them. my friends big guy ( about 50 pounds) will stand on your foot if he didn't get a snack or doesn't like what you gave him....

Status
Not open for further replies.