grapevines growing very slowly

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
In early spring I bought three different varieties of grapevines and planted them in my outdoor enclosure along our wrought iron fence. They are growing but not very fast. I live in Texas and the fence can get rather hot! Could the heat from the fence be the reason they are not growing faster? Should I move them or maybe put up some type of barrier between the vines and fence, like maybe a wooden lattice panel? Any and all suggestions are welcomed! I wasn't sure which forum to post this in but decided since it is a plant question...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This fence gets hot, so is it in full sun? Are much water are they getting? Were these growing and well potted plants or more the bareroot type? All the same variety? (just trying to get a little more background information for us to give our answers the best shoot of being right)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's unusual, I bought a bare root this year, and planted it, and it exploded with growth. I would put some type of protection, I imagine the heat from the fence might be affecting it's growth. (just a guess)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Perhaps your soil does not have enough nutrients. I use Miracle Grow fertilizer (the kind that you use in a vegetable garden). I water frequently, letting the hose run very slow so it waters deep, and my grape vines which were planted a year ago are growing like crazy. They are growing all over the chain link fence in my desert tortoise enclosure.

When preparing to plant a new plant into the ground, preparing the soil that the plant is going to be planted in makes a big difference. Dig a hole much larger than the pot the plant is in and add a vegetable garden type soil (I use Miracle Grow Garden Soil) and mix it in with the regular dirt according to the directions.

REMEMBER TO ONLY USE VEGETABLE GARDEN FERTILIZER AS IT IS MADE FOR THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO BE EATEN.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I have found that if, when newly purchased, you don't prune the vine to a few inches tall it will grow slower. If you prune the plant, it will of course have to grow all over again but it will grow quicker

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
This fence gets hot, so is it in full sun? Are much water are they getting? Were these growing and well potted plants or more the bareroot type? All the same variety? (just trying to get a little more background information for us to give our answers the best shoot of being right)
Sorry I took so long to reply! Yes, the fence is in full sun. I water when they are dry, lately its been every few days! I purchased the plants at home depot and they were not "pot" potted, but soil filled plastic bag type containers. I did remove the soil and fertilizers... before planting in the ground. I saved the info cards telling the varieties but i must have put them in a really safe place because I can't for the life of me remember where they are! I know they are purple, red and green! Thanks for any and all help!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
That's unusual, I bought a bare root this year, and planted it, and it exploded with growth. I would put some type of protection, I imagine the heat from the fence might be affecting it's growth. (just a guess)
Thank you, i also think the fence is too hot! I think I'll go ahead this week and get something else for the vines to grow on. Certainly won't hurt anything as long as I can remove the vines already clinging to the fence rails and even if I can't I still think it would be better!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Perhaps your soil does not have enough nutrients. I use Miracle Grow fertilizer (the kind that you use in a vegetable garden). I water frequently, letting the hose run very slow so it waters deep, and my grape vines which were planted a year ago are growing like crazy. They are growing all over the chain link fence in my desert tortoise enclosure.

When preparing to plant a new plant into the ground, preparing the soil that the plant is going to be planted in makes a big difference. Dig a hole much larger than the pot the plant is in and add a vegetable garden type soil (I use Miracle Grow Garden Soil) and mix it in with the regular dirt according to the directions.

REMEMBER TO ONLY USE VEGETABLE GARDEN FERTILIZER AS IT IS MADE FOR THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO BE EATEN.
thanks for your suggestions Carol. I used organic soil, it might have even been miracle grow, don't remember! But I did all the things you said so I'm thinking it is just that the wrought iron fence gets too hot. There have been times the fence was too hot even for me to touch it!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
I have found that if, when newly purchased, you don't prune the vine to a few inches tall it will grow slower. If you prune the plant, it will of course have to grow all over again but it will grow quicker
Hmmm, thanks Kevin, I don't think I did cut it back, never thought about doing that. However it is too late now since there is already a lot of growth but just not as much as I thought there should be! I think I remember reading somewhere that i should prune it back before winter, is that correct?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Re:trimming, I trim mine back all year long, and it just keeps on growing, and growing.