Grass hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

theplastron

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Derry NH
I currently have red foot torts and russian torts, now should they be getting a steady diet of grass hay or is that mostly with sulcatas? Right now I feed them mostly leafy greens with the occasional fruits. Just trying to understand my torts better!
Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Redfoots and Russians have different environmental requirements as well as some different dietary requirements. By comparison Redfoots consume more protein than Russian tortoises. Russians do not need to be fed any additional protein (some is already present in most greens). Russians shouldn't be fed fruit as part of their regular diet and there is no real need to ever feed them fruit. A Russian tortoises diet should consist almost exclusively of weeds and other leafy greens. Some individuals will infrequently consume different types of hay. Mainly timothy hay which contains a higher weed content than other types of hay. I don't ever recall my Redfoots consuming any type of hay but there are always exceptions!

theplastron

5 Year Member
Derry NH
Thanks guys! Just was not sure if they should be getting it or not, but those links where helpful too!

Status
Not open for further replies.