grassland tort food question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
I'm trying to get my four leopard tortoises, aproximately 4-5months old , to learn how to eat tort food about once a week so if I have to travel I can use it. They don't touch it. I've wet it. I mixed it with some greens so I guess they got a little that way. Do any of you have good suggestions on to get them to eat this ? Its so cute, I actually have seen a couple of them grazing on grass when they are outside. I am surprised by this because many said Leopards won't do this except when older, is that correct ? Thank you !

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
If you can get them to eat it, you may be one of the few. Mine won't touch it either, even mixed in with greens. The younger torts will always prefer greens to dry food. If you are worried about eating during travel, go with mazuri food. for that size you don't need much, wet it for about 30 seconds and let them chomp away.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Dont know if youve already done this, it sounds like you may have done, but chop their greens into small square shapes/little pieces, wet the pellets, and thoroughly mix it all together in a bowl - that way they cant avoid it. Sounds like you've done something similar to this though.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I soak mine in water and then take the mush an spread it all over the leaves, that way my tortoise eats the stuff.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I mix the zoo med pellets with mazuri and my tortoise loves it.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
My leopard hates both stuffs, mazuri and zoomed. But he will eat if i mix them with his favorite greens with a right portion...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What differences between leopards, huh?

Mine ate both grassland and Mazuri at the first offering, no hesitation.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

erica anne

5 Year Member
Mine finally ate it with a little calcium powder sprinkled on it. Now he loves it and eats it without the calcium.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i gave my leopard mazuri with her favorite treat, zucchini, and now she'd prefer mazuri over greens! i have the opposite problem from yours, haha.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

Casseylane

5 Year Member
Mine wouldn't touch mazuri for months, then one day, all of a sudden, she ate it and loved it. Don't give up. I put it in hot water for 5 mins, drain, and put it next to the greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.