gravid female sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Hi everybody! This is my first time posting a thread. I need some advice! My female (17in) sulcata laid 2 eggs yesterday around noon. She is pacing and sniffing like crazy but she's not digging.? The 2 eggs she laid yesterday are in my incubator but they are really "mushy".? They arent hard and white like I would expect them to be. Im confused. Please help...any advice?? [/b]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi turtlelady80:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Sometimes a first time egg layer doesn't really have the knack of nest building. The eggs probably aren't any good. Nothing to worry about. She'll get the hang of it soon and next time will be better.

May we know your name and where you are?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I can't help with the egg issue as I have not had to worry about breeding. I am sure you will get lots of help..

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
My name is Melissa and I am in Delaware. My vet came over yesterday and sais she's full of eggs. And she was pacing like crazy yesterday after laying the 2 eggs. And she was sniffing and up all night last night. This is her first time laying eggs. Its a waiting game i guess

B

byerssusan

Aww a first time mamma..Hope all goes well with her egg laying..And welcome..your gonna love it here.

mld9373

5 Year Member
turtlelady80 said:
My name is Melissa and I am in Delaware. My vet came over yesterday and sais she's full of eggs. And she was pacing like crazy yesterday after laying the 2 eggs. And she was sniffing and up all night last night. This is her first time laying eggs. Its a waiting game i guess

How old is your sulcata ?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The Tortoise is telling you that she doesn't have a suitable place or substrate to lay the clutch........That needs to be corrected quickly, otherwise you'll end up in a bad situation........

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Is this happening in an indoor set up? I see you are in Delaware and I think its pretty cold there already. They need around 18" of the right kind of dirt/soil to lay. Its gotta be the right type and consistency, by THEIR standards, not ours. Sometimes a first time layer will drop some weird "duds". I have had that happen before. Sort of priming the pump. But in your case, Eric might be right here. Mine can be pretty picky about where they lay. Sometimes they will pace around and dig test holes for two weeks, until they find just the "right" spot. They do this more during the dry summers here and seem to be looking for some moisture down deep that just isn't there. They usually make their own soil mosture during this time of year. During the rainy portion of the year, when the soil is more damp, they usually just go dig a hole and drop the eggs, so I don't get as much warning. Mine are outdoors 24/7, but I'm hoping this info might help you a bit.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Thank You all for getting back to me! So, She is 17in in perfect health and weight. Ive had her in loose dirt that i mist in a nice big heated room. She laid 3 more since my first post. But they are all "mushy"...? Dont understand. Has anyone heard of this?? And she laid them over a week and a half. CONFUSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.