Greedy Horsfield

ryan2701

Hi

We have two juvenile Russian tortoise.

One named Jerry we've had him about 6 months and Rover about 2 months. Currently, they're being housed together, in quite a large space, although I will be separating them.

Although Rover is the younger of the two (and was much smaller when we got him) He/she is growing at a much faster speed than Jerry. To the point where there are visible growth rings on his shell. I've cut down his food, and try to feed Jerry away from Rover.

There's a warm and cold area of their home, uv and heat lamp installed soon, and get a sprinkle of nutrobal with each meal. I bathe them regularly, and every so often clean their shell. Their substrate is prorep tortoise life (calcium in the sand/soil mix).

Currently their diet consists of:

Lambs Lettuce
Raddicio
Frissio
Variety of dried weeds.

They will be on fresh weeds soon, when my weeds start growing again.

Basically, I'm worried about Rover's growth and the fact that when we cut his food down, he starts getting aggressive. any advice? I do everything I can for these two, and just want some help.

It's so strange seeing two tortoise with two completely different personalities.

I've uploaded an image :)

IMG-20150303-WA0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't cut down on his food. Supplement with grocery store greens for a wider variety.

ryan2701

Problem is Rover is becoming massively overweight (from what we can tell) and we're mixing it up as much as we can, considering its winter its tough.

He is the younger of the two, and weighs much more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Allow them a bigger space so they can get more exercise. They are programmed to eat all the time because in the wild Russian tortoises have a very short 'awake' period. They usually have to eat, eat, eat because hibernation is just around the corner.

I suggest two separate habitats so they don't live together, and large habitats so they have to wander quite a distance to get to their food.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Problem is Rover is becoming massively overweight (from what we can tell) and we're mixing it up as much as we can, considering its winter its tough.

He is the younger of the two, and weighs much more.
Without using weight as your indicator, what signs do you have of overweight? Can you post pictures?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, then eat some more. If there is food they will et. While they do eat, it is hard for them to become overweight. It can happen just not common. An overweigh tortoise is pretty easy to spot/ A nice big outdoor enclosure would be nice if possible. You will prob. see an attitude change once they are separate, both will prob. be eatinng machines.

ryan2701

This is Rover.

I'm in the middle of building a new bigger tortoise table, with optional separator. Complete with smart monitoring system (homemade), in order to ensure their environment is good!

I only got Rover in January, so he will get outdoors when the weather is somewhat better.

Attachments

• IMG-20150303-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20150303-WA0003.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 12

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Is your other tortoise the older one growing at the same rate before the new tortoise was purchased? They are both adorable!

ryan2701

We got the one on the left of the first image about 5 months before the second. Everything is completely different about them both, it's astounding really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is very common for them to grow at different rates. I'm raising 20 of them at the moment and the growth rates vary wildly and inexplicably.

This species should never be housed as a pair. I recommend you separate them immediately and permanently. They gain no benefit from interaction with each other on a one on one basis. Groups of russians can often work, but pairs almost never do, regardless of age or sex.

Your routine sounds good, but I would not use that substrate, and I would only use the Nutrobal a couple of times a week.

You said you will be installing a UV and heat lamp soon. Does this mean they have no heat or UV now? I can't imagine their appetites would be up at all with no heat source. What sort of UV are you planning on? Beware the the coil type bulbs often burn their eyes. I would recommend against them. Long tubes or mercury vapor bulbs have proven to be safe and effective UV sources if used correctly.

ryan2701

I mean into their new table. Currently I'm using a coil but looking at the vapour one and a spotlight bulb as a heat source. I read up quite a lot before buying first time round.

Do you recommend any particular one, and any better substrate? I'm building the table this weekend so I'll be sure to put the seperator in.