Greek tortoise appears sick

arsky

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new member from Olympia, Washington, USA. I have 2 tortoises, a Russian, Oogway, which I've had for 2 years, and a Greek, Komay, which has been here for nearly a year. As far as I can tell, they are both young, probably only a few years old. The Russian is definitely a male (based on his sexual advances towards the other), and so far I'm assuming the Greek is female.

They live indoors, in a wooden enclosure with bark substrate, and both love to burrow in it. They have a 2nd story that they can access to get to a tub with water, and get a better view over the walls. I have 2 heat lights and one UV light. Usually the temperature seems warm enough that I only use one of the heat lights, so they have a cooler area as well as a basking spot.

When Komey arrived, she was a much bigger eater than the Russian and ate probably twice as much as him on a daily basis. Recently her appetite has decreased significantly, and she doesn't seem to care as much for carrots, which she used to quickly devour. Just the sight of a carrot used to make her come running.

Now she has started making a raspy, almost gasping sound. I posted the footage here, where in 1 1/2 minutes she does it 3 times.

http://youtu.be/vwl3TVdKaXQ

Today she has become very lethargic, and where she used to be very shy and disappear into her shell, now when I touch her limbs she barely responds.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My first guess would be he has something stuck in his throat. Try to open his mouth and Look as far in as you can. If you can't, I believe a vet visit is needed.
Hello and Welcome:)

Almost forgot, they should not be housed together. Different species, different enclosures.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The two species should not be housed together....in my opinion....also, a pair is a hard thing to maintain without one of the torts suffering in being forced to submit to the dominant one....

I too feel like what I see in the video is a tort that needs more hydration along with the substrate is a source of splinters and such and I too would guess there is some of the substrate splintered off in the throat....I would suggest long warm water soaks followed by offering a treat food injected with mineral oil...a few days in a row..