Greek tortoise not growing.

Grxciea

Location (City and/or State)
Swindon england
I’ve been concerned for my little ones health for a while now as she has not grown compared to my other Greek tortoise who is around the same age.

She is five years old and only just bigger than a hatchling. I do not know if it is something to do with the bullying when both the girls shared an area (i dealt with that accordingly and they both have large individual areas).

Her health has gotten a lot better over the years and she doesnt spend all day sleeping anymore although one of my concerns is that she doesnt eat as much as you’d expect from a tortoise her age and size.

Help would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been concerned for my little ones health for a while now as she has not grown compared to my other Greek tortoise who is around the same age.

She is five years old and only just bigger than a hatchling. I do not know if it is something to do with the bullying when both the girls shared an area (i dealt with that accordingly and they both have large individual areas).

Her health has gotten a lot better over the years and she doesnt spend all day sleeping anymore although one of my concerns is that she doesnt eat as much as you’d expect from a tortoise her age and size.

Help would be appreciated.
Hello and welcome. Most of the care info for tortoises is all wrong. Start here, and look for the heating and lighting breakdown, as well as the temperate species care sheet at the bottom. It is likely that the pet shop sold you the wrong equipment, wrong type of enclosure, wrong substrate, wrong bowls, etc...

When you say they each have large individual areas, do you mean each one is now in its own separate enclosure where they can't see each other and have no contact?

Grxciea

Swindon england
Hello and welcome. Most of the care info for tortoises is all wrong. Start here, and look for the heating and lighting breakdown, as well as the temperate species care sheet at the bottom. It is likely that the pet shop sold you the wrong equipment, wrong type of enclosure, wrong substrate, wrong bowls, etc...

When you say they each have large individual areas, do you mean each one is now in its own separate enclosure where they can't see each other and have no contact?
They are completely seperate. Cannot see each-other not have made contact since the separation two years back. I got all of my things and the torts themselves from a breeder that breeds marginated tortoises and greek tortoises. Theres also thermometers spread throughout parts of the table and i do believe temperatures are all good!

Grxciea

Swindon england
They are completely seperate. Cannot see each-other not have made contact since the separation two years back. I got all of my things and the torts themselves from a breeder that breeds marginated tortoises and greek tortoises. Theres also thermometers spread throughout parts of the table and i do believe temperatures are all good!
Also the enclosure was built and designed by myself based off of research.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also the enclosure was built and designed by myself based off of research.
Read the thread. It explains why "research" usually takes people down the wrong path. When you understand what is wrong, you can fix it, and correct your growth problem.

Get ready for a big, jagged, hard-to-swallow, frustrating, red pill...

Grxciea

Swindon england
Read the thread. It explains why "research" usually takes people down the wrong path. When you understand what is wrong, you can fix it, and correct your growth problem.
Thank you. I will check it out now. I appreciate the help

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello! Could you please post some pictures of your tortoises for size comparison? Maybe we can get some more ideas, along with the good advice already given? Thanks!

Grxciea

Swindon england
Hello! Could you please post some pictures of your tortoises for size comparison? Maybe we can get some more ideas, along with the good advice already given? Thanks!
Heres the size comparison between both. Both female and the same age.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow! Good that they are now separate! Even smelling the other one would be upsetting so I hope they are far from each other. Also I feel sorry I asked for the picture because being put together for it may be a setback. Totally separate them and wash your hands between handling, I would.

Grxciea

Swindon england
Wow! Good that they are now separate! Even smelling the other one would be upsetting so I hope they are far from each other. Also I feel sorry I asked for the picture because being put together for it may be a setback. Totally separate them and wash your hands between handling, I would.
Thats what i do, i even scrub out the tub i use before i soak the other one aha. I feel bad for my poor baby but ive learned from my mistakes and im seeing her health improve!