Greek Tortoise not moving

Pandatar

Hi my Greek tortoise, Sheldon is not moving. He hasn't moved for the past three days and today I picked him up to see if he was okay. He has been next to his rock by the basking lamp and when I picked him up I noticed his eyes weren't open and his legs felt very stiff. I then filled his water dish warm water and briefly soaked him before putting him under the basking lamp. As I i setting him down I noticed his back right leg was very limp. Please help I haven't had Shelly for very long and he's only about 5 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It sounds as if your tortoise may be dead. If you can't tell if he's alive or not, I suggest you take him to a vet. If he is alive, he's very sick.

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
England
I agree with Yvonne. Take him to a vet ASAP. Hope he gets better soon. :(

Rachel Sobran

he could be overheating, check the temperature and soak him in lukewarm water. put his favorite food in front of his face and see if he tries to heat it. I'm sorry, but he may be dead

Rachel Sobran

are his eyes open? can you see his flaps of skin moving inside his shell by his head (that means he is breathing)?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very sorry to have just heard that your tortoise is sick. :( A visit to the vet asap would be the best idea.I sincerly hope it gets better soon.

And a warm welcome to the forum.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A sad way to welcome you to the forum.
The prognosis is not good.
A visit to the vet is imperative.
Best wishes.