greek won't eat prickly pear cactus pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello
I ordered 7 pounds of cactus pads from blue beast reptile and it came in today. So I quickly sliced the pad 1/4 wide in strips and offered to my greek....she stared at it and seems excited after that she walked away from it. So I kept on trying and she seem scared of it and actually ran away and never seen her to be quick. She is a strong eater and eats like crazy everday. Any advice would be great.
Oh just so you guys know.....she is almost one year.
Thanks.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
None of my Greek tortoises are fond of cactus pads :rolleyes: They are supposed to be good to eat for you if you can't get your Greek to eat any. :D

Danny

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
None of my Greek tortoises are fond of cactus pads :rolleyes: They are supposed to be good to eat for you if you can't get your Greek to eat any. :D

Danny

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just got a email from bluebeast reptile and he said same as you just did. I guess I have gather enough info. Thanks again.
Guess we will eat'em up tonight :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
You can plant one pad in a pot. It will grow, but a bit slower. In the winter just bring inside. My Greeks eat them but only a little at a time. They tend to cause them loose stools. So I have some growing in pots and I just cut off a piece and feed the pad heals and continues to grow.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Thanks for the info Robyn. One of my neighbors has some. I might ask for a pad or two to plant instead of to feed right away.

Dawna

Burblest

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
galvinkaos said:
Thanks for the info Robyn. One of my neighbors has some. I might ask for a pad or two to plant instead of to feed right away.

Dawna

Try slicing the cactus up into bite sizes. My Leopard wouldn't eat the strips because of the work it took to rip bites off. After I tried cutting it he eats it readily.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I gave Tallula some prickly pear cactus pad for breakfast this morning....I sliced it up into thin slices,easy for her to eat,she only ate the outer green part, she did not seem to like the pink part in the middle ! Oh well, the nice yummy centre for me then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.