Green Bell Peppers????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I have had my sully for one week today and I think that he is adjusting pretty well. He is 10 yrs and 60 lbs. He was outside exploring today in the back yard and my daughter came inside to tell me that Sheldon was in the garden. We have 50 ft raised bed gardens. He finally figured out how to get into them even though they are three cinderblocks high.

My question is....is the green bell pepper going to hurt him? It was a small one approx 2 inches long. Still on the plant....which is now trampled. :)

The look he gave me when I went to lift him out of the bed was priceless!!!
As long as he will be ok, that is all I care about.
Thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I don't have a Sulcata, but green pepper won't harm him at all. He thought he was pretty clever for awhile there...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I feed my animals green bell (and other types of) peppers to no ill effect.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
wow Three cinderblocks high? did he knock them over or was their a corner that he got in and climbed up? green peppers are perfectly fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. No harm to anything, but your pepper plant.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the bell pepper is in the deadly nightshade family. If I'm correct, then the plant is toxic, but the bell pepper is ok, and full of vitamin C!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My pepper experience...

In all my years of having tortoises, I had never tried them on peppers. This year, when buying plants for my flower pots, I bought a red pepper thinking to try the pepper on the tortoises. When I got home this last go round, I had two nice big red peppers that I picked. Unfortunately, I then just left them sitting outside. When I next looked at them (as I was going by to do the sulcata), I noticed one was getting soft. I took it along with me and dropped it into their enclosure. The nearestsulcata one took one look and claimed it as his own. He almost was swallowing it whole. :D Guess next year I may plant a few more, so I can try them out on a few other tortoises. :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Peppers are actually a fruit (any veggie with seeds, including most nuts, grains, corn, etc. are as well), and pretty nutritious. I feed them to my Red-foots all the time. As with most other foods- use in proper moderation as part of a balanced, varied diet.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the input. I was hoping that they were ok....mostly hoping that he would not eat something that wasn't good. (I know a little ignorant =( )

I forgot to mention that about 30 minutes after the pepper plant mutilation he found a vine hanging down from the tomatoes on the other side of the yard in a separate raised bed. When I got over there he had a huge green tomato in his mouth. I love this guy already. I have a feeling as he gets more and more comfy here he will start exploring more and more....which means trouble for me!!!!!

Attachments

• 298116_2274516778585_1118642530_2706672_6237469_n.jpg
    298116_2274516778585_1118642530_2706672_6237469_n.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 52

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tomatoes are another one in the deadly nightshade family - the plant is toxic, but the fruit is fine.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Tomatoes are another one in the deadly nightshade family - the plant is toxic, but the fruit is fine.

Thanks for the advice. I went out tonight and tied the vines up where he can't get to them "Hopefully"!!!! Fingers crossed!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Wow, didn't think about feeding peppers. Are all (red, yellow, green) bell peppers safe?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Cool, I love finding new things to feed Bowser!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I just make sure my animals get a variety of things so that they are not missing any particular micronutrient.

Status
Not open for further replies.