Green preservation tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on preserving greens so they last longer. It seems most of the time the greens I buy turn pretty rapidly just keeping them in tuperware. Kale seems to last a little longer but dandelion greens however seem to only last a few days. Any preservation suggestions? Or possibly a couple kinds of greens that I could use as diet staples that don't turn as fast? I have 2 russian tortoises by the way.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I personally use those debbie meyer green bags, they keep my produce in the winter time fresh for weeks at a time.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wash and dry my greens, then keep them dry by using paper towels lining the tops and bottoms of tupperware (changed every other day or as needed to minimize moisture). Still, I'm lucky to get anything to last 10 days. Also I pick out any wilting stuff as soon as I see it as the mushy stuff will spread very fast. I have also heard the key to those Debbie Meyer green bags is to keep the produce dry. I am waiting to find a good deal on them as they are pricey (we found the coldcut ones on sale for under $1 but so far I don't seem to find a difference with them). Unfortunately grocery stores spray down produce to make it seem fresh and appealing, which shortens the shelf life. Bummer. I cut down on the amount of greens by only purchasing 1-2 types a week in addition to spring mix (which we eat anyways). I rotate through the other types. No need to buy variety every week, just over time (unless you have a heard and can do so).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I lay them flat on paper towels, then put another layer of towels, then another layer of greens...etc. Then I put the whole thing in a zip lock bag and take all the air out of it and zip it. They stay dry like this and last a long time. If they get wet from the condensation, they will wilt. Keeping them dry is how they last long.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just FYI I had a bunch of greens last 4 weeks in the bags, I praise them every chance I get, you can also check EBAY, but IMHO they are worth retail in the amount the wll save you.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i bought these green storage containers and they hold my veggies and greens freshness really well. i paid like 10$ for like 7 containers.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
For bunched greens, I wash them in warmish water to remove pesticide residues and dirt, soak them in coolish watre, then under water, clip the stems at an angle, like you would cut flowers. Put them in a pint bucket or jar of water that isn't too full and allow them some room, so they don't mush eachother and cause rotten areas, then place in the fridge. This keeps them longer than allof the other methods I have tried, though I have never used the green bags. They kept up to 3 weeks this way for me.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The trick is contradictory- well-soaked, but dry and stored in a humid place.

I have done all of these and they work for about 2 weeks:

For all versions- soak greens in COLD water for at least 10 minutes, with a capful of vinegar if available.

- Dry the greens off (spinner, towels, etc.) and lay in layers on paper towels. Roll loosely and store in large zip-seal bags.
-or-
- Dry and store in a plastic container that has plenty of small airholes (heated pin) with some sort of mesh or something to keep them off the bottom of the tub
-or-
- Leave them wet and store in a bag made of a couple cheap kitchen towels sewn on three sides. Make sure the bag stays somewhat damp, and wash/dry between uses.

I used the last method the most since it was the easiest. Now, I just get a weeks worth at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.