Greenhouse!

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
I got this 8x12 greenhouse for Christmas and my Sulcata will staying in there next winter!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389661723.771865.jpg

He will be the ruler of the ground and my plants will be on the tables. There will be grass and all sorts of edible plants on the ground for him too though

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How lucky can you get! I have dreamed of having a greenhouse ever since I was a child.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
It was a major pain (paperwork wise) to get this too, my neighborhood rules are really particular. After we followed all of their regulations we still had a member of the HOA file a complaint that we had to take up with the city! All of that has been sorted out and now I can start to work on it! Once I get more money at least... Haha

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, it is gorgeous!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Very cool! I too have a greenhouse, except my father and I made it. To grow grass and have weeds I got gras seeds from a Feedstore and spread that out, then grazing tortoise seed (from Carolina pet supply) and spread that out as well. I covered it with top soil. It grows very well! I had it at 10 inches tall in some areas.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's a good price for a greenhouse of that quality! I did the same thing with mine; torts on the ground, plants on the shelves.
Looking forward to seeing it set up.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
Very cool! I too have a greenhouse, except my father and I made it. To grow grass and have weeds I got gras seeds from a Feedstore and spread that out, then grazing tortoise seed (from Carolina pet supply) and spread that out as well. I covered it with top soil. It grows very well! I had it at 10 inches tall in some areas.

Nice! I'm going to have to try that. Mines already got dormant Bermuda in the bottom but variety is better!
Could you share some pics of your greenhouse?

lynnedit said:
That's a good price for a greenhouse of that quality! I did the same thing with mine; torts on the ground, plants on the shelves.
Looking forward to seeing it set up.

Just hope your favorite plants don't fall onto the ground! I'll definitely be posting pics of it's progress. As of now it will be pretty slow since my tortoise is just fine in his indoor setup and all of my plants are inside or in the greenhouse at school. So no rush Til about fall but I'll most likely start my customizations and such in the spring!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I would love to share. On the right, I have a gutter that I was growing grass and weeds as well. I would have to trim and lay onthe ground. On the left, it's a big PVC tube with big holes drilled in and growing greens. It gets super hot in the summer so I open the door and let it vent.

You can maybe find the thread by looking at my profile and finding the threads I've created. I'll have to dig for the pics.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if it's my phone but when I go to your profile it says zero posts..

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389678216.280074.jpg

Without grass!

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
Well it says "1095 posts" but when I clock on it, it says zero..

Blake m said:
Without grass!

Oh yes I remember this thread! Wow the was a long time ago. I really like your gutter and PVC idea. The PVC setup is like little greenhouses inside a bigger greenhouse! I bet it's nice having the house as one wall (insulation wise), how well does that thing stay heated in the winter?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Since I don't have the covering along the fence, quite a bit of a breeze comes through. My dad is going to cover it. Major downfall is that it doesn't receive sunlight right now since it's covered by the house. If it's 65 outside it's close to 70 inside, even without sun. It'll work until I move out of my parents house.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
Ok I went out and took some pics today. It was 50 outside and 70 in there with no supplemental heat. I it gets too hot in there I can open the "Dutch door" along with the vents pictured. The long black part of the vent is full of bees wax and as it heats up it expands and opens the vents.ImageUploadedByTortForum1389827775.392410.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389827799.853949.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389827812.209120.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389827822.708640.jpg
And here's a picture of the inside, the cinder blocks are just temporary so ignore themImageUploadedByTortForum1389827860.700800.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Wow that thing is neat. It'll be even better when it's done! Crazy that it's 20 degrees higher. That'll be helpful.