greetings from a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedfarmer

5 Year Member
hello my name is Donny. I have just aquired one five in three toed box turtle. I know nothing about turtles. I was given this turtle because i live on a farm and have four boys and the owner didnt have time to take care of him. His name is igore, because of the hump on his back. i do not think that his diet wasnt correct because his shell has rolled in a bit on the bottom but not sure? I am also not sure what to feed him, I give him fruits and veggies along with red worms right now. he sure loves red worms. can he over eat on worms, it would be his regular diet in the wild right? thanks in advance, Donny

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Welcome, we love pics :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Donny, and welcome to the Forum!!

I don't understand what you mean by "five in three toed". The three toed box turtle is nick-named thusly because they normally have three toes on their back feet. (Terrapene carolina triunguis)

I have one that has a sort of hump on its back too. I'd love to see pictures of your new little guy.

They eat fruits, vegetables and animal protein. I usually chop up a bit of salad-makings, then add a few pieces of chopped up fruit and put some worms or crickets or bits of chicken on top of that. They normally clean it all up.

weedfarmer

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Donny, and welcome to the Forum!!

I don't understand what you mean by "five in three toed". The three toed box turtle is nick-named thusly because they normally have three toes on their back feet. (Terrapene carolina triunguis)

I have one that has a sort of hump on its back too. I'd love to see pictures of your new little guy.

They eat fruits, vegetables and animal protein. I usually chop up a bit of salad-makings, then add a few pieces of chopped up fruit and put some worms or crickets or bits of chicken on top of that. They normally clean it all up.

what i meant was he is a five inch long three toed turtle. and we live in Fresno California.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome fellow Californian! If you would like to post some pics we can help you to identify the sex and species that you have. A 3toed box turtle can do very well outside in your area. If its shell is turning up it definitely has had some poor keeping in the past. Yvonne has given you some excellent advice on feeding. I would also add in snails, slugs, mealworms, pillbugs, and cantalope.

Status
Not open for further replies.