Greetings from a Sulcata Foster Momma

I became the foster momma for a sulcata tortoise of unknown age and gender this past July (~ 1 month ago). I usually just foster companion animals such as dogs and cats, so this is a new experience for me.

After not knowing a thing about taking care of these guys I spent hours/days/weeks combing the internet and have at least come up with a number of questions. Yes, I've read the intro forums and very much appreciate all the wonderful information, ideas, suggestions! Both my foster tortoise and I are very grateful. But I have some questions about this tort in particular.

First of all, what can you tell me about this tortoise simply by his/her picture? I see some moderate pyramiding and am guessing the age to be between 3 and 5 years, but understand that size and age can correlate so loosely that guessing the age might just be useless. The coloring seems much darker than other sulcatas I've seen, but perhaps this suggests young age and lack of time outdoors?

What about gender? Any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_7272.JPG
    IMG_7272.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7275.JPG
    IMG_7275.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7277.JPG
    IMG_7277.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Good looking tort . What state are you in ? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409091595.597215.jpg here this might help you

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

I'm in Wisconsin (unfortunately for this tort) but right now in August it is warm and humid so the weather is great. In a few months. . . not so much.

According to the pictures above I would guess a young or immature female. What are your thoughts?

Have you found that the shape and size of tail/cloaca is a better indicator of gender rather than the shape of the anal scutes?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't forget most young torts look female but some will become males later . But for now I think your right it looks female .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Look g female to me too. Nice looking sully. The darker coloring usually is due to being house inside under artificial UVB

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

All tortoises look female when they are young. This changes as they start going into sexual maturity - and this goes by the size of the animal, not by the age. My male sulcata started showing me his stuff when he got to be around 15lbs.

Your tortoise is darker colored because he has spent a lot of time indoors. He's a fine-looking animal.