Greetings from Oregon!

ShannonT

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon, Pacific Northwest
I'm Excited to be here!
I am the proud mama of six Red Footed and two African Desert Tortoises. I have had my torti clan for over a year now, acquiring #8 within the last month. Everyone (except the last) came to me from the same home. They had all been acquired from different rescue/re homing situations in varying conditions of health.
Everyone is doing well, but there is always room for new knowledge an improvement!
With Fall fast approaching, we are preparing to install a new and improved permanent winter enclosure for the bubba's and will welcome suggestions and ideas!
Our base plan will start with an 8x12 shed that we will insulate and winterize.
Myself (Shannon), Matt, Tom, Patricia, Rosie, Ziggy, Squirt (RF's), George, and Dziko (AD's)
Thank you!

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome Shannon. There's several of us in the PNW. I live in Corvallis, Ken is in Silverton, and Heather is in Medford. There's more but they will make themselves known. You'll have fun here....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Welcome!

Which African desert tortoises do you have?

I keep an African leopard here in Oregon. It's been easy for me here with just the 1! ;)

Marivladi

Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! I am from Milwaukie, OR. So cool to see there are a few of us!:) I have a baby sulcata for only a month and very much grateful for this forum and all valuable advices I got, as I had no idea how to take care of tortoises:).

Oh, and let me share this with you - we love pictures!!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my, Shannon...someone has told you the totally wrong info about your tortoises. What you have there are two redfoot tortoises from South America. (Chelonoidis carbonaria)

This is a leopard tortoise:

leopard-tortoise.jpg

And this is a redfoot tortoise:

87691207.jpg

They're not desert tortoises at all. They come from the edge of South America's rain forest.

ShannonT

Oregon, Pacific Northwest
Yvonne,
I'm sorry this was confusing due to the previous post. I do have 2 leopards....
and 6 red foots! The picture is 2 of my rf girls. :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444202320.588600.jpg. Here is a pic of most of the clan in the a.m. waiting for it to warm up to go out.
Yes............ I'm aware that my red foots and leopards are together.....they had all been rescues and when I adopted the clan a year ago they had been together for quite a long time. When they go into their new enclosure for the winter, I will separate the leopard's from my red foots. George (the small male leopard) can get bossy and push the big boys around a bit.)
We are definitely a work in progress and I have been slowly altering what they've been used to.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. I also have six Redfoot.
But I'm not sure what a Winter is?:)

I also have three tortoises with no name and they carry numbers on their shells. #1, #2 and #3. As well as identical sisters named Queen Bertha and Ruby. The only way I can tell them apart is by a small "R" and a small "B". The sixth one, a female named Julio is distinctive enough.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Shannon, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Matt, Tom, Patricia, Rosie, Ziggy, Squirt, George and Dziko. !!!