Greetings

TortFam13

We are proud new owners of a Russian Tortoise named Joey. He is about 6" across his shell--not sure how old. We are newbies to tortoises but have loved them afar for a long time. Looking forward to all the help we can get to ensure our little guy is taken care of and happy. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Reason Tom asked where you are is it helps us to know what kind of info to give you when we know your climate.

TortFam13

We are in Colorado. In the summer we have a perfect outdoor area to plant a tortoise garden and construct an enclosure. For now, we built a tortoise box 6' 4' . We use fir bark and coco coir. We have the light set up with UVB and heat. I'll post pics when I can. Out little guy seems really shy/traumatized and barely comes out of his hide box. We did a warm soak to saw "welcome" and he explored a bit but that's about it. Thanks all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's quite ok. Tortoises are territorial, and your tortoise is almost full grown, so it's pretty stressful on him to be plunked down in a new territory. It may take a while, maybe a couple weeks, for him to start venturing out on his own. Just keep bringing him out in the morning and set him in front of the food, then step out of sight and leave him alone.

TortFam13

Thank you! That relieves me a bit. I was trying not to be worried:) we have been avidly reading tortoise care and following discussions for a while before adopting him, but when you have the little guy, it's hard not to worry:/

TortFam13

Thanks all for the welcome! Day 3 and he/she is doing better. (I'll post tail pics when I can:) ) Although we have tried to set up a small little routine for him, we have mostly left him in peace to adjust--especially since he is mature and I'm sure WC. He has enjoyed some greens SO much and is much more active and tolerant of us observing him. Yay! Already a part of the fam!