grey tree frog sunning on hot plank?

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
Just took this pic this morning. I think this is a tree frog. It was 95 out and this is on my front steps which were well over 100 F.

TreeFrog.jpg

He was there for a while. Dunno if my nearby black snakes would have eaten him if they had peeked out.

I have never noticed one of these basking in the hot sun on a hot surface before.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i have 2 Grey Tree frogs. i raised them from tadpoles and they are so cute. mine are males and they chirp if they like the noises on Tv. usually background music, preferably Violin. Or if Boston( the group) is playing.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
They seem real sweet. Even totally wild ones, if you put one on the palm of your hand, you have to work to get them back off sometimes because they are so trusting and just sit there.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
they do seem to prefer to stay in one location. my neighbor has a pair on her swimming pool deck. they have lived there for years.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
That may be true, but this is a different individual.
I also saw this one (i think) last night after dark, sticking to the galvalume wall right nearby.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
also- they can change colors. Mine change from tan to dark brown, and some even stay green.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
also- they can change colors. Mine change from tan to dark brown, and some even stay green.

I agree, I kept some several years ago and they changed colors all the time. I seen them from White, tan, brown and green.

surfergirl

I cut down a holly bush today and had a grey will at the moment grey tree frog on it. Moved him to the water garden whiskey barrel so he could get wet and find a good spot to chill until they start breeding tonight. we have a high hatch rate tad poles every year in my pond and water barrel. lots make it to little frogs. Pretty cool to watch the process.

Cute little boogers and i think they are the ones that sound like turkeys calling. Funny to hear all the calls each night.