Grow food directly in tortoise table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrsusArctos

5 Year Member
Hi,

We have a seed mix for our young sulcata and were considering trying to plant some directly in her tortoise table. Has anyone had any success doing this? Any downsides or reasons not to plant grasses directly in her environment?

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I don't see anything wrong with it. I just don't know how long it will last haha. As soon as he/she see's the green it will be devoured. You may want to get it going first and then plant some in the tortoise table. Good luck :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The usual problem is that the tort mows it down before it gets chance to grow properly. Growing lots in seed trays enables you to have a constant supply and you can then swap out the seed trays when they get eaten,

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, as soon as it sprouts, it'll be chomped. I planted seeds in my tortoises outdoor enclosures and as soon as they sprouted, they were done. If you can, plant it in multiple other containers that can be placed in the enclosure and switched when it is eaten some. That way the plants have a chance to grow leaves first, can be eaten some and then can recover when removed.

jowheeler

5 Year Member
I put a hanging basket upside down over mine and it stops them eating to the bottom of the plant or walking thru them an weeing on them that can only eat what grows thru the basket.:)

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 COBALT using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.