Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi,

I have indoor enclouse for my three Hermann tortosie. The enclosure is 8 ft by 2 and located in basement. The room was a old wine cellar but I use it as a tortoise cellar. My torts have a outdoor enclosure but I keep them inside while I'm at work.

I was wondering if anyone uses a plant glow light? I'm currently using two MVB's. I was thinking of getting grow light so have house plants in the enclosure. Are grow lights harmful to tortoises and do they provide enough UVA and UVB?

I was thinking of using only one MVB and another source of light so I wondering if my spider plant and torts would like a grow light.

Thank you for your help.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Saving a spot in this thread, so I can find it later on. :) I would love to know the answer to this question as well.. Thanks Ton for asking. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Sound,

Honestly, I dunno, but I'm sure you'll get some good answers; I look forward to seeing what is written; great question!

Be Well,
Purpod

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would be personally scared to use anything not specifically designed for animals even near the tort for lighting. That said, I have no idea so hopefully someone knows!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
I would be personally scared to use anything not specifically designed for animals even near the tort for lighting. That said, I have no idea so hopefully someone knows!

I know you can use them with lizards (well green basilisk specifically for sure), but I imagine anything. I don't with mine, because they just trample the plants in 2-3 days anyways :(. The only thing being. You still need the good old UVB lights (UVA is actually harmful if too much).

Depending on your setup you may need the 2 MVB (or get the flourescent tubes) for UVB. And with 3 tortoise, I don't think I'd go with just 1 basking spot. The grow lights do not replace your MVB, they are just for the plants.

Rule of thumb for me, at least with lizards caged in the same enclosure. Each get a basking spot to limit/take away fighting. Unless they are babies or smaller lizards where multiple can sit under it without issue.

Not sure how it works with tortoise as i've only been reading things for about a month. So I would suggest either 2 MVB + 1 grow light OR 1 MVB, 1 Grow light, 1 18-36" flourescent UVB light, and 1 heat bulb.

That way you get 2 basking spots, enough UVB, and the grow light in both scenarios. Hope this helped

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would stick with the MVB for UVB needs. I do not feel a grow light is a problem for a torts eyes, and it would be benificial for plants, but MVB should also be good for plants, probably better than a grow light! A grow light also emits light that may stimulate appitite.
So I guess what I'm saying is a grow light should not be necessary if you have MVB, but should not be bad!

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I use the Agrosun tube, which is the first one listed on the web page. I buy them in combo with their fixtures, 2 tubes per 24" or 48" fixture. This is the first year I've tried the bulb and I've been impressed.

I started in October, I think, with two of my indoor turtle tanks with the goal of keeping water hyacinths alive through winter. I spend a fortune on those plants for my outdoor stock tanks, then they all die with the first freeze. :( It worked!

My baby Egyptians and baby Leopard also have the lights over the grazing mixes that I plant. The bulbs work well with the mixes, too. I have some patches that have been alive since October or November. Usually I screw the grasses up by "mowing" them too close to the ground with a scissors.

These lights have nothing to do with the lights for the tortoises. They do help illuminate one end of their enclosures; otherwise; I use MVBs for heat and UVB.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Not so stooopid of a question; I, too, don't know what MVB stands for. Personally, I use the bulbs made for tort's on my tort's.. ;-)

A Purpod Peep

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Mercury Vapor Bulbs. They supply heat and UVB. They're made for tortoises, turtles, and other basking reptiles. If you Google T-Rex Active Heat or Mega-Ray bulbs you'll see what they are. I've used them for several years with turtles and tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.