Growing cactus where Sulcata roams?

Nimus

Location (City and/or State)
California
I know this is a dumb question but I'd feel bad if something went wrong because I didn't ask... is it ok to grow cactus where my sulcata will be roaming? I checked and the cactus that I'm going to plant is safe for tortoises to eat (Cereus Peruvianus), but I know Sulcatas can be persistent about pushing through spaces and I just want to make sure it will be smart enough to not get poked by cactus needles.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Depends on the cactus. Is it one of those prickly pear? You could just take a knife and run it down the cactus pad, chopping off all the needles.

Nimus

California
No, Cereus Peruvianus looks like this. On each of the ridges (the white spots) there's a grouping of small needles.
1592112409481.png

L

LasTortugasNinja

“Smart” enough... no. But he may get the picture quickly after a jab or two. I Wouldn’t personally grow anything that’s a potential risk to an animal, but I have known people who have placed a cactus in with animals familiar with the species and they never had any problems. Unless you want it to be mowed over or eaten to scraps, I’d make sure it’s well guarded from an onslaught. Depending on the damage, some cactus don’t take kindly to nibbles On the main trunk.