Help! Is it safe for my sulcata to eat barrel cactus?

SulcataNewbie2014

Location (City and/or State)
Makati
I'm a new owner of a pair of baby sulcata tortoises. I bought some barrel cactus to decorate their enclosure. As soon as I put the cactus in the pen, my two babies came over and began eating them. After some reading, I found out that the barrel cactus can be toxic. I immediately took the cactus out of the pen. What should I do?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Welcome to the forum, I suggest you watch for any symptoms, lots of soaks... Visit the vet ASAP if you find a difference in behavior. I can't say anything else.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Can you name those cacti? Know what species they are?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I don't think I'm a real help, but just soak them lots and watch for signs. I can't definitely tell if they are toxic. But if they do have lots and lots of oxalis acid it can cause poisoning :(

SulcataNewbie2014

Makati
I don't think I'm a real help, but just soak them lots and watch for signs. I can't definitely tell if they are toxic. But if they do have lots and lots of oxalis acid it can cause poisoning :(
Thanks for your help. I really hope they are not. I watch them tonight and bring them to the vet tomorrow.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Is this the correct way to soak? View attachment 94846
It's better to find a less steep watering bowl... The way you soak is you put them in a tub-like container (so they can't escape). It should be step something like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410005610.565926.jpg
Then fill the container with warm (not hot!) water to where the plastron meets the shell carapace, which is called the bridge area:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410005392.775121.jpg
Inside the enclosure you should use plant saucers like these for watering bowls:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410005480.363928.jpg

SulcataNewbie2014

Makati
It's better to find a less steep watering bowl... The way you soak is you put them in a tub-like container (so they can't escape). It should be step something like this:
View attachment 94849
Then fill the container with warm (not hot!) water to where the plastron meets the shell carapace, which is called the bridge area:
View attachment 94847
Inside the enclosure you should use plant saucers like these for watering bowls:
View attachment 94848
Thank you again for all your help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

SulcataNewbie2014

Makati
image.jpg image.jpg It's already been over 13 hours since they ate cactus and our 2 sulcatas seem to be fine. Thankfully nothing bad has happen. Never doing that again! I'll always check the forum before I buy any plant for the enclosure. Thanks again for all the advice.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hi, if they are okay now, I wouldn't worry, but make sure they safe before letting them eat them again! Your torts looks dry :( Your moss should be wet (moist, not soaking) and misting daily ALWAYS helps! I agree with AbdullaAli, that looks deep, I use a small plastic container indoors for my russian, and terra cots outdoors...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sometimes what is listed as toxic to mammals does not have that same issue with reptiles....if the torts are and remain, business as usual then I would just offer an extra soak or two (long soaks) to get the good moving on out....just what I would do, "in my opinion"...

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hello, You have two cute little Sulcatas there. :) I'm not sure about barrel cactus, I would do research before putting plants in the enclosure, just in case. Better safe than sorry IMO. I would also like to encourage you to go read those links, Tom gave you. If you read them and follow them your babies will grow up nice and smooth. I know his methods work, My Spunky, :) Who now resides with another TFO member :cool: was raised following his care sheet. Very smooth and I will add a pic of him a few months before he left for Louisiana, and you should see him now that he's been roaming around in that Louisiana sunshine. :rolleyes: Wishing you all the best with your babies. And please do put them In seperate enclosures, IMO One will not do well, and their will be bullying. Its not worth the risk of something happening. I've yet to ever see a pair do well.
Remember we love pictures..:D
And if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Attachments

• 1410165402469.jpg
    1410165402469.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: