growing seeds, winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi! I ordered the russian tortoise seed mix from carolinapetsupply, as well as some dandelion seeds. Planted them separately in cat pans about 2 weeks ago with organic soil. I've watered, and we've even gotten a little sun here in Washington in the middle of winter. They are inside on the window sill. So far all I've had sprout is what I've identified as Chia. Little guy loves it, but I was hoping for more (it's already a few inches tall).

Is 2 weeks enough time to wait? Should I try again in Spring (lots of seeds left over)? Luckily I'm finding enough at the store to feed him.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
All you need to grow plants in the winter is light, light and more light. You need to have a light over your seeds thats on 14 to 16 hours a day.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

But in the Pacific Northwest we don't have light...So Tortoisenerd, you need to hang a UVB light right over your seed pan. About 12 inches is a far away as I would hang it. We don't have enough candle power here now. That's where the hanging light comes in...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmmm. Not sure that's worth buying a stand and light to try and get them to grow. How much is a cheap UVB bulb (my little guy has a $50 Mega Ray so I assume they come cheaper)?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can get a 24" grow light at Walmart for $10. :D

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Is that the fixture and bulb? Awesome! I've been wanting to make the trek over to Walmart--we don't have one within about 20 miles and I miss it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes thats with bulb. :D It's made by lights of america.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks! I might have to set up a "growing" area...I was thinking about trying to grow turnip greens from a turnip in water as well as I've heard those are a good food choice and no one here sells the tops.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Try a little organic fertilizer, such as horse manure. And no, it should not smell, not like cow or pig. Once it has set long enough to be used as fertilizer it should be odorless.

Also try a heat pad under your seed tray set on low or medium, heat is just as important as light :)

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My russian tortoise seeds seem to be doing a little better as I can identify at least a few different things growing. I stuck the dandelion seed container on top of a hide in my tort enclosure to get the effects of his light, lol. He's too little to knock it over. I'll see how that goes before setting up a growing station. I'm really not good with plants so if this doesn't work I'm fine with buying supermarket greens (I've been known to even kill cactus). Not sure I'm ready for heat pads, lights, and fertilizer. If I lived in a house instead of an apartment it would be easier. As Maggie puts it, we're in the frozen Northwest. hehe Even the wheatgrass in his enclosure is already not as green. I've watered it everyday and it is near the light (I've even rotated it around). Thankfully that was only a $2.50 investment.

Also got a turnip today and stuck it in water in a container with toothpicks so hopefully I can get some turnip greens from that. I've had pretty good luck finding stuff in the stores so growing things from seeds isn't too urgent right now. The quantity of stuff it still the limiting factor, although dandelion greens are pretty decent--I'm making salad with them tomorrow. =)

Right now the little guy is eating spring mix, a little bit of kale (I can get it organic by the fraction of a pound, usually free actually as they don't charge me for such a small amount if I buy other stuff), dandelion greens, cactus, sprouts of stuff from the seed mix, wheatgrass, Mazuri, TNT, and calcium supplement. I think that's a pretty decent selection for winter. Thoughts?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I understand about being in the frozen north... there is three feet of snow outside my front door right now :)

I guess only go as far as you are comfortable with the growing things :)

Your selection sounds pretty good. Which seed mix did you buy? Does it contain any broadleaf species?

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It's the one from carolina pet supply and I believe it has broadleaf species (they have a list of seeds on their site).

Status
Not open for further replies.