Growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
S there anything special we should be looking for with growing patterns on our torts. Willie seems to be getting bigger but do I need to watch any of the growth patterns to increase food.. Remember Willie is 6 years old and I've only had him for about 5 months.. Please any insight would be wonderful. I have tried searching but having seen anything that answers any of the questions..

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Mary, wish I had some advice for you, but I am too new yet to give expert advice. I would suggest PM tom, Austin,Tyler or Yvonne
Sometimes they eat like pigs and get on growth spurts. Proper diet, heat, light and humidity will prevent pyramiding.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Theres nothing you can really do, all tortoises grow at different sizes and rates.
even tortoises from the same clutch will grow at different rates.
as long as your sulcata isn't much pyramided and eating healthy you have nothing to worry about.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
When WalkingRock starts his growth cycle (white lines appear around all his scutes) I apply Vita-shell to the white lines. This will help condition the cuticles, just like your nails!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not critical. Don't over think it. If you feed him a bunch and there are leftovers, then feed a little less the next day. If he eats everything you put down in 5 minutes and immediately starts hunting for more, then you might need to increase the amount. The amount needed will change with the seasons and the weather too. When the weather is good it is downright shocking how much they can put away. The amount doesn't matter all that much. If they are fed lightly, they will survive and grow slower like my adults did. If they are fed more "normally" they will grow at a more normal rate, like my current yearlings.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacob said:
Theres nothing you can really do, all tortoises grow at different sizes and rates.
even tortoises from the same clutch will grow at different rates.
as long as your sulcata isn't much pyramided and eating healthy you have nothing to worry about.

:)

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Zamric said:
When WalkingRock starts his growth cycle (white lines appear around all his scutes) I apply Vita-shell to the white lines. This will help condition the cuticles, just like your nails!

Oh he has this. I soak him once or twice a week due to weather because I bring him in to soak right now and I have been putting vita shell, per another post I saw -on his shell a couple time a month. I'll keep watching. Thanks.

Tom said:
This is not critical. Don't over think it. If you feed him a bunch and there are leftovers, then feed a little less the next day. If he eats everything you put down in 5 minutes and immediately starts hunting for more, then you might need to increase the amount. The amount needed will change with the seasons and the weather too. When the weather is good it is downright shocking how much they can put away. The amount doesn't matter all that much. If they are fed lightly, they will survive and grow slower like my adults did. If they are fed more "normally" they will grow at a more normal rate, like my current yearlings.

Tom, you can never tell a mother not o over think things. It just our way but hanks your advise rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.