Growth lines look weird?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The actual shell looks very dry, no luster. Might I suggest rubbing in some cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes, then polish it off with a clean, dry, absorbent cloth?

Is the tortoise under lights?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
The actual shell looks very dry, no luster. Might I suggest rubbing in some cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes, then polish it off with a clean, dry, absorbent cloth?

Is the tortoise under lights?
Thank you. I was wondering how to moisturize his shell.

No. He isn't under a light, that was my flash to get good photos. He's outside most of the day and I bring him inside at night in a heated enclosure with only CHEs.

We have really hard water here and although I soak him in filtered water, I think it's leaving a residue or drying out his shell. I will try the coconut oil and see if it helps!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The lines between Earp's scutes are usually white, but I have noticed they are darker and shiny now? Is this normal?View attachment 380169View attachment 380171
Completely normal and what you want to see. When actively growing, the seam spreads and you see white with the epithelial layer forming that white band first, and brand new keratin then filling in. As the new keratin fills in, it is much darker in color. It takes a few years for the newer keratin to lighten to the color of older keratin. So you will have a couple of prgressively lighter bands to each scute - from the darkest at the seam to the lightest at the scute centers.

_The_Beast_

Canada
Thank you. I was wondering how to moisturize his shell.

No. He isn't under a light, that was my flash to get good photos. He's outside most of the day and I bring him inside at night in a heated enclosure with only CHEs.

We have really hard water here and although I soak him in filtered water, I think it's leaving a residue or drying out his shell. I will try the coconut oil and see if it helps!
I have hard water too. I find it builds up a white mineral layer on my torts shell, particularly the 'bumpy' parts from the original baby shell size (I see less build-up on new growth). I give it a gentle scrub once a week with a soft brush (toothbrush because my tort is only 1 years old) and it comes off. Afterwards I'll do what Yvonne described and apply some virgin cold-pressed coconut oil + wipe it off.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I have hard water too. I find it builds up a white mineral layer on my torts shell, particularly the 'bumpy' parts from the original baby shell size (I see less build-up on new growth). I give it a gentle scrub once a week with a soft brush (toothbrush because my tort is only 1 years old) and it comes off. Afterwards I'll do what Yvonne described and apply some virgin cold-pressed coconut oil + wipe it off.
Thank y'all so much!! I have ordered some cold pressed coconut oil and it'll be here tomorrow. Earp will have a spa day on Wednesday, I'll post before and after photos!!