help (winter question)

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
You can indeed! Only if they’re old/healthy enough though!🐢💚

Don’t suppose you’d mind trying to answer these questions?

Are they a baby or adult?
What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day temps, night temps?
What kind of lighting and heating are you using specifically? Packaging photos are good if you have any!
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity reading? What do you use for substrate?

A photo of the full set up would be great! Along with one of your tortoise if you didn’t mind sharing more🥰

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Overwintering is safe and healthy when done right.

You will need a big enough enclosure, plus the proper lighting and heating. On top of these you have to of course consider how you can provide a varied, healthy diet during the winter.

TheTortoiseking

Tn

What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day temps, night temps?
What kind of lighting and heating are you using specifically? Packaging photos are good if you have any!

A photo of the full set up would be great! Along with one of your tortoise if you didn’t mind sharing more🥰
my tortoise is 8 years old I am a new owner and feel that it is too late in year to start hibernation

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Babies can also be brumated or kept up. Not just adults.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
This should help:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of over wintering are we talking about here? Over wintering - Keeping the tortoise up during the winter? Over wintering - Allowing the tortoise to brumate?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
That's you. I don't brumate at all, and I have one that could be, that's me. But the fact, is they do in the wild and can be in captivity.
I think it’s considered riskier for a baby though no? Hence I’d just wait until they’re a bit older, wild vs captive care is so different

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it’s considered riskier for a baby though no? Hence I’d just wait until they’re a bit older, wild vs captive care is so different
Actually brumating in captivity is less risky then in the wild, if done correctly it's controlled.
Maybe @Carol S can add insight. Not sure if she ever had any babies left to brumate or not.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, the topic for brumating a baby is still up for a debate.
I don't think it's really up to debate as much as it's opinions and what people are comfortable with. Yvonne likes to wait, Tom doesn't. The brumating species brumate from the get go. They don't wait a year or more to do it. Brumating in captivity, if done right, is safer, as there is no danger of wildlife, weather, temps.etc. Waiting till they are 3 years is only members opinions and what they are comfortable with.
I'm not comfortable doing it at all, so I don't. But I wouldn't tell people they shouldn't do it or that they have to be 3 to brumate. They only need to be healthy.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Actually brumating in captivity is less risky then in the wild, if done correctly it's controlled.
Maybe @Carol S can add insight. Not sure if she ever had any babies left to brumate or not.
I don’t doubt it’s safer in captivity
I don't think it's really up to debate as much as it's opinions and what people are comfortable with. Yvonne likes to wait, Tom doesn't. The brumating species brumate from the get go. They don't wait a year or more to do it. Brumating in captivity, if done right, is safer, as there is no danger of wildlife, weather, temps.etc. Waiting till they are 3 years is only members opinions and what they are comfortable with.
I'm not comfortable doing it at all, so I don't. But I wouldn't tell people they shouldn't do it or that they have to be 3
it’s one of those things where yes they do it in the wild, but should it be recommended for babies in captivity? We get to play god after all so why not wait until it’s considered safer? We’re all about safety when it comes to captive care

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don’t doubt it’s safer in captivity

it’s one of those things where yes they do it in the wild, but should it be recommended for babies in captivity? We get to play god after all so why not wait until it’s considered safer? We’re all about safety when it comes to captive care

It's your opinion that you think they should have to be 3. I was only pointing out that babies can brumate and many do.