Growth worries

steelrumor

5 Year Member
So today at the store where i bought my giant leopard and sulcata they had a massive two year old. I don't have the hatch dates for either of my torts but I've had the sulcata for a year and the giant leopard for two. To me they both seem extremely healthy but is there something I'm doing wrong? they've both grown but nothing like the massive two year old in the store. I'm attaching pictures and there will be questions about what they're in. The current picture they're in one of the runs I've built it contains grass which is sprouting and collard greens and the salad mix for the day. I also have dry food that is out all the time and they both receive soaks at least once a week. Any ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3557.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Pretty....where did you get the leo? the store could of lied but they all grow at different speeds. Surf around here and compare yours to a larger group of sulcatas and sa leos.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Most pet stores really have no idea how old there tortoise is, Ive read this alot. if you feel you could always read toms care sheets and double check what is what. should be done twice a year at least for us Newbies. Welcome

steelrumor

5 Year Member
Thanks! as for the leo i live in colorado and theres a place known as scales and tails and they have some beyond awesome stuff. and as for comparing absolutely ive started to do that some. Just worried about the growth rates on the sulcata more then anything.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How long have you kept those 2 together?

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello and wonderful day to you. Is that perlite or vermiculite in your soil? they look white like cuttlebone and if it is they will eat it. And a sulcata at around 2 will start to put on heavy weight. I received my king at around that age and he now at 3 puts over a pound a month. Give you a just a ball park figure my king weight was 800 grams at around 2 when I got him now he turned 3 this month is over 16 pounds good luck, he will be huge in no time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be willing to bet that if each of your tortoises were in his own habitat so they could have their own "territory," they would grow faster, especially the sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't spend anytime worrying about the growth rate of some other tortoise at the pet shop. Instead focus your efforts on giving your own tortoises the best conditions you can. I see several issues that could use some improvement. I'm pointing them out to be helpful, not to be mean. Most of these were already mentioned by other posters, but I like to put it in my own words.

1. The little white bits in that potting soil can be deadly over time. I would not let them have access to that area until that soil is removed.
2. Your leopards pyramiding tells me he has been kept too dry and not well hydrated enough. He needs humidity indoors and out and he needs daily soaks or close to it.
3. Their diet needs some improvement. Carrots are not a good food. Here is a feeding sheet. It was written for sulcatas, but I feed my SA leopards exactly the same. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
4. These two should not be housed together or even have access to the same turf at different times. Species should not be mixed and tortoise should not live in pairs. Please read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/