Habitat for Baby red foot tortoise

Sheldon24

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfield,ohio
I have a 6 month old red footed tortoise. We were told to use paper towels at the bottom for a while to prevent aspiration. Is this the correct way? I’ve heard some people using different bedding but I’m not sure if it’s safe for such a young tortoise.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I have a 6 month old red footed tortoise. We were told to use paper towels at the bottom for a while to prevent aspiration. Is this the correct way? I’ve heard some people using different bedding but I’m not sure if it’s safe for such a young tortoise.
Use reptibark or similar orchid bark. They can eat the paper towels.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Nope absolutely not, use orchid bark🙂
Pour luke warm water into the corners of the substrate, not loads but enough to dampen the under layer, keeping the top layer dry, to avoid the top getting dusty, mix the substrate now n then.
Also feeding on a large serving slate will avoid baby ‘aspirating’ on any substrate, not that aspiration tends to be the main concern, it’s more about them causing a blockage, again though the large slate will avoid this👍🏻
And please refer back to your first thread so we can help you further😊

Sheldon24

Fairfield,ohio
Pour luke warm water into the corners of the substrate, not loads but enough to dampen the under layer, keeping the top layer dry, to avoid the top getting dusty, mix the substrate now n then.
Also feeding on a large serving slate will avoid baby ‘aspirating’ on any substrate, not that aspiration tends to be the main concern, it’s more about them causing a blockage, again though the large slate will avoid this👍🏻
Thank you so much!!! I will run out and get some! I thought it was weird to only use paper towels because I’m spraying them down all day and they don’t keep warmth in!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you so much!!! I will run out and get some! I thought it was weird to only use paper towels because I’m spraying them down all day and they don’t keep warmth in!
No problem at all! Yeah paper towels will dry out so quickly in a red foot enclosure, it’d be impossible to keep up your humidity, they’re a risk if eaten and they must get messy pretty fast.
Any further questions please ask away🙂

Sheldon24

Fairfield,ohio
No problem at all! Yeah paper towels will dry out so quickly in a red foot enclosure, it’d be impossible to keep up your humidity, they’re a risk if eaten and they must get messy pretty fast.
Any further questions please ask away thank y

Any further questions please ask away🙂
Thank you so much!

Sheldon24

Fairfield,ohio
Thank you so much!!! I thought the paper towels was weird!

Alex and the Redfoot

Today is my birthday!
Cyprus
Thank you so much!!! I thought the paper towels was weird!
Paper towels are used for tortoises on de-worming treatment or post-surgery/wound healing to prevent contamination from substrate. Absolutely ridiculous to use them for a healthy tortoise.

RedFootedTorts

Florida
Orchid bark is good just don’t get large chunks or they might try to eat it. You can also try to mix it with coconut fiber to help retain even more humidity as well as some moss.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Moving right along just fine, great advice and help offered! Lucky tortoise!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Orchid bark is good just don’t get large chunks or they might try to eat it. You can also try to mix it with coconut fiber to help retain even more humidity as well as some moss.
Moss is stringy and can cause a blockage in the intestines or wrap around the tortoises limbs. Tortoises can't digest moss but they most certainly will try to eat it.

Sheldon24

Fairfield,ohio
Paper towels are used for tortoises on de-worming treatment or post-surgery/wound healing to prevent contamination from substrate. Absolutely ridiculous to use them for a healthy tortoise.
We are learning very quickly that the shop who sold us the tortoise had no idea what they were doing. Thank you!