had to go to the vet yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
the day prior to yesterday i noticed a small bulge on the side of penelopes ear i did my research and decided it was the beginning of a ear absess. so i kept looking around the web yaddda yadda and yesterday after it seemed to be large enough to deal with i took her into my vet and had it lanced off flushed out packed with antibacterial medisine was given baytril (ototopical) (for the ear) and now she rests in a hospital tank : ( hope she recovers soon,
i am very glad that when he lanced it he was able to leave the actual tissue, as i had seen some sites and pictures online where the turt literally had a hole in the side of his or her head (eventually itll gorw back) but this way it seems that it will heal ALOT faster. i believe this ear absess was caused in some way by the bacterial conjunctivitus i had go around my bale after adding a new turt (penny) : ( hope it heals soon

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just make sure to clean the site a couple times a day as well as a little pressure around the site to force out any ooze that will try to fill back in the site....she should be feeling better soon....:p

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
shes eating well but definatly would rather burrow into some nice moist soil rather then the towel in her box : ( but i take the fact that she is very active and alert as a good thing : )

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
For sure the dirt is choice...but you are doing perfect....I had one of the CDTs have similar thing done but was at the steady if the great weather and instead if being outside all warm season he was housebound for a couple weeks....this is the time I welcomed him into the house and took him out for short porch sun time with fly swatter in hand because of the open site...as well as had to do injections everyday ...which was totally the highlight of his day...lol....but he was sooooo much happier after the gigantic thing was gone...he use to be hosted by my old boss and he eventually turned him over for me to take care....so that was when I was able to have the gigantic lump removed....you are doing right by keeping him clear of the dirt until you are able to allow the site to heal out....

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
it totally amazes me ascott how far people let things go... just google turtle ear absess...... some of the pictures are well discusting. i saw it and knew right away somthing was wrong and after reading up on the topic decided to let is continue to fester as it is easier to remover when it is hard rather then still soft, it only took me one more day to decide it was enough, i mean seriosly it isnt going to get any better. and it is exscuciatingly (sp?) painful, so 100 dollars later : (

which i might add was what i expected to pay
40$ office visit
30$ baytril
20$ surgery

it was just under 100 bucks but it had to be done

thanks utah lynn and jojodesca : ) im sure all will be fine it was alot better then some poor turts you can see on google : (

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I wish your baby a speedy recovery and I will add her to my prayers tonight :):)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
she is doing very very well : ) the wound has completely healed over or at least shut no swelling either, im still applying the baytril to the exterior od the wound, im not sure how much that will help since it is for (in the ear) but it cant hurt "right?" : ) anyways she is looking good and i expect her to at least get some dirt back in her hospital pen rather then a towel, of which she just hides under. seeing as though the wound is mostly healed, : ) thank you very much for the well wishes pryncesssc :), and yes tortuga totally worth the 100, this is one of my earlier boxies with IMO a wonderful personality : ) so it had to be done ,rather it sooner then later, and im sureshe is glad not to have it any longer as well!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
UPDATE: she has healed up quite nicly in fact not even i could tell she had surgery : ) she is eating well and ive decided to put her back into the main turtle table where she can dig down into the dirt again not to mention hang out with the rest of the girls : )

ill be keeping a close eye on her though : )

Status
Not open for further replies.