Halpz please, I thought these flowers were Dame's Violets but now I'm not too sure about that... what kind of flower is this?

tempest979

Location (City and/or State)
NY
20241002_144139.jpg

Are these okay to feed my Indian Star? I thought they were Dame's Violet's but I'm not too sure now. Hope they aren't poisonous, she went to town on them so fast I couldn't remove them when I questioned my misidentification.

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 380298

Are these okay to feed my Indian Star? I thought they were Dame's Violet's but I'm not too sure now. Hope they aren't poisonous, she went to town on them so fast I couldn't remove them when I questioned my misidentification.
Dame's rocket flowers have 4 petals. The flowers in your photo look as though they have 5 petals. They look like vinca or phlox flowers to me. I have no idea if either are safe or toxic, though.

tempest979

NY
They look like vinca or phlox flowers to me. I have no idea if either are safe or toxic, though.
Thank you IT IS a phlox, I just looked at pics of phlox and it matches the bush I picked it off of. I just looked it up on thetortoisetable, says it's feed in moderation, which means it's safe. THANKS! She went to town on them so fast, by the time I went to remove them, they were gone.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’m not sure they actually are because from what I can see, dames violets seem to have four petals, not five like the ones pictured, let me do some digging to see if I can identify for you! And I’m going to tag @RosemaryDW who is generally our plant go to!

In the meantime because we don’t know exactly what they are, I’d keep daily soaking to pass it through his system and not feed until we’re certain on identification

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you IT IS a phlox, I just looked at pics of phlox and it matches the bush I picked it off of. I just looked it up on thetortoisetable, says it's feed in moderation, which means it's safe. THANKS! She went to town on them so fast, by the time I went to remove them, they were gone.
That’s a relief well done for finding out so quickly!🩷

tempest979

NY
I’m not sure they actually are because from what I can see, dames violets seem to have four petals, not five like the ones pictured, let me do some digging to see if I can identify for you! And I’m going to tag @RosemaryDW who is generally out plant go to!

In the meantime because we don’t know exactly what they are, I’d keep daily soaking to pass it through his system and not feed until we’re certain on identification
I'm now positive they are phlox like zovick said. The bush I got them from looks EXACTLY like this

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm now positive they are phlox like zovick said. The bush I got them from looks EXACTLY like this

I don't think you need to worry about the tortoise eating the number of flowers in your photo. Just check the Tortoise Table to see if phlox flowers are acceptable to feed or not and, going forward, follow that advice.

Never mind, I searched it out for you. There is no problem feeding phlox "in moderation". Here is the info from the Tortoise Table: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=274&c=5

tempest979

NY
All good🩷 dw I’ve second guessed myself like this too, I’d always try and do an image search before feeds if you can🙂
Last time I used google lens to identify these and I looked it up on thetortoisetable and it said it was feed in moderation. That was several months ago. Today I happened to pass by and saw them so decided to pick some but didn't remember what they were called and used google lens again but couldn't really tell what it was cuz it was a pic of the back of the flower, so I went through the tortoisetable manually looking and then got scared when I saw so many similar looking pink flowers and freaked out.

Thank god you guys are around to help people out!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Last time I used google lens to identify these and I looked it up on thetortoisetable and it said it was feed in moderation. That was several months ago. Today I happened to pass by and saw them so decided to pick some but didn't remember what they were called and used google lens again but couldn't really tell what it was cuz it was a pic of the back of the flower, so I went through the tortoisetable manually looking and then got scared when I saw so many similar looking pink flowers and freaked out.

Thank god you guys are around to help people out!
Yeah that’s fair enough, it can definitely be a sudden panic when you see so many similar looking ones! Been there!

I’ve actually reached out to one of the lovely ladies that runs the tortoise table website a few months ago, she was so helpful and gifted me one of the first ever plant books she started studying from! I feel very blessed to have it🥰 She’s called Lin and I believe there is another lady called Nina, their team has studied plants and tortoises for over 30 years, they’re a great source for all things plants!🌱

If you ever have one you’re unsure of and can’t identify it for certain through their website, you could drop ‘the tortoise table’ page a message on Facebook with a photo, I’m sure she’d be happy to have a look for you! If she’s unsure she’ll tell you to let it age and re send a pic down the line😊🌿

tempest979

NY
Yeah that’s fair enough, it can definitely be a sudden panic when you see so many similar looking ones! Been there!

I’ve actually reached out to one of the lovely ladies that runs the tortoise table website a few months ago, she was so helpful and gifted me one of the first ever plant books she started studying from! I feel very blessed to have it🥰 She’s called Lin and I believe there is another lady called Nina, their team has studied plants and tortoises for over 30 years, they’re a great source for all things plants!🌱

If you ever have one you’re unsure of and can’t identify it for certain through their website, you could drop ‘the tortoise table’ page a message on Facebook with a photo, I’m sure she’d be happy to have a look for you! If she’s unsure she’ll tell you to let it age and re send a pic down the line😊🌿
o! that's fantastic! That's really good to know, I rely on google lens but sometimes it's not 100%. This is real helpful.