Hammer effected repair

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Okay, I know I'm far from being alone in utilizing the Whack to "fix" something.

I'm going to assume most of us first learned this long cherished skill as I did, watching Dad whack the TV to make "it come in better".

Well the latest object to receive this treatment was the switch to my big Whirlpool tub...hence;
20231113_141802.jpg

The tub stopped working while I was in it last year or so.......I have been unable to find a replacement switch....and it takes a telephone cable to boot, prob from the remote fill screen!! I have a regular size whirlpool in the other bathroom but it doesn't get my upper back like the big one does. So I've used it as a soaking tub a couple of times but haven't gotten around to replacing parts. When I press the button, nothing, no movement, no power, no bubbling cascade of water beating on my back.

So we got home yesterday, Kerry left to go to work, I went to fill my tub as my back was really bothering me...prob overdid it again with the subnados. Anyway, as I'm filling the tub, it's still below the level where it can come on..... I go get a set of line cutters, heavy duty and nice plastic wrapped handles.....and whack that switch right on the bean with the plastic heel of the handle! A couple of times, you know, for good measure.

After the tub filled, I half-heartedly reached down and dang if it didn't come on! High, low....it all works.................I called Kerry who was still on her way to work I was so excited!

Yay Hammertime!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, my dad and myself have used that long standing, caveman fix. It works good a lot of the time, so why not try it.
Glad it worked for you. Next time though, don't wait so long to try it. Just think, a whole year you missed out on and the time and almost the money you wasted. Lol

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yes, my dad and myself have used that long standing, caveman fix. It works good a lot of the time, so why not try it.
Glad it worked for you. Next time though, don't wait so long to try it. Just think, a whole year you missed out on and the time and almost the money you wasted. Lol
Yes, I procrastinate....badly!

I actually never thought of hitting it before yesterday....Generally, we plumbers don't really rely on a hammer, we just make jokes....that's why I had reached the conclusion I was going to have to retrofit another switch for it...that's what I thought of right before the hammer idea came....why not, gotta replace it anyway!

This time it worked but like a prospectus, it's no guarantee of future success! lol

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Okay, I know I'm far from being alone in utilizing the Whack to "fix" something.

I'm going to assume most of us first learned this long cherished skill as I did, watching Dad whack the TV to make "it come in better".

Well the latest object to receive this treatment was the switch to my big Whirlpool tub...hence;
View attachment 363371

The tub stopped working while I was in it last year or so.......I have been unable to find a replacement switch....and it takes a telephone cable to boot, prob from the remote fill screen!! I have a regular size whirlpool in the other bathroom but it doesn't get my upper back like the big one does. So I've used it as a soaking tub a couple of times but haven't gotten around to replacing parts. When I press the button, nothing, no movement, no power, no bubbling cascade of water beating on my back.

So we got home yesterday, Kerry left to go to work, I went to fill my tub as my back was really bothering me...prob overdid it again with the subnados. Anyway, as I'm filling the tub, it's still below the level where it can come on..... I go get a set of line cutters, heavy duty and nice plastic wrapped handles.....and whack that switch right on the bean with the plastic heel of the handle! A couple of times, you know, for good measure.

After the tub filled, I half-heartedly reached down and dang if it didn't come on! High, low....it all works.................I called Kerry who was still on her way to work I was so excited!

Yay Hammertime!
Love button not working, so ❤️

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
On it Z .....Yes the switch as accessible though the access panel in my room and its removable....it's pretty sealed up in the back though, a long threaded shaft with the locknut then the power cable, a telephone cable snaps straight into the rear of it.