Handling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is your russians to hold?

My an 8. He wiggles all around.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: Handing?

I would say mine are a 22, they wiggle claw and try to get out of my hands, which is why I don't handle them often. even my long term captive of over 10 years still wiggles like a mad man.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.

I'm glad my sully Cooper don't do that unless its bath time or if you hold him to long without his feet being on something, he likes to pee on the vet cause she won't listen when I tell her "if u hold him like that he gets upset and pee's!" Lol! I always set him on his "turtle towel" and carry him like the crowned jewel. He is a spoiled brat! :) love my tort!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

Many tortoises often have fear of being handled. In the wild when they're being lifted off the ground or otherwise disturbed it's probably by a predator about to eat them. If you have to lift them up off the ground it's always best to completely support their bodies and all four feet, along with having something under and in front of their heads so that they still have the feeling and appearance of solid ground under them. For very small tortoises in the palm of the hand is usually fine. For larger tortoises a towel, cardboard or wood work well.

I have always opted for not handling them unless absolutely necessary.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

My tortoises are a bit hard to handle as well. Now I keep a small cardboard box next to their pen. That way I can just put them in the box and carry them outside in it, so they don't scratch me.

Status
Not open for further replies.