Hanging UV light?

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Hello,
I am switching from an MVB light to a tube shaped UV, and have a question about how to hang over an open top pen. Currently our MVB light has a hook on top, and we hang it over the middle of the enclosure with a long hook. Are there any tube style light frames that can hang from the top?
Thanks again everyone!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I just make sure to use a tube long enough to go across the enclosure. So mine is not hanging...it is resting on the sides.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I like your setup :D That looks fine, does the UVB also spread to the top layer?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Most of his time is spent on the bottom he just goes up a few times a day to check it out, I usually leave a bit of food up there to to encourage him to!
I would like to try a double-layer enclosure for my russian, but I'm not sure he would use the second layer :rolleyes:

Reptilelove

Plymouth
I just have a quick question, my mum was arguing with me saying that our uv light doesnt need to be on as long as it is (6am-9pm) how long would you recommend having it on for?:)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
6 am to 9 pm is good. If you want shorter hours with the light on, the tortoise should be outdoors in the sunlight during that time.

josh shultis

ontario, canada
I just have a quick question, my mum was arguing with me saying that our uv light doesnt need to be on as long as it is (6am-9pm) how long would you recommend having it on for?:)
Damn parents don't like all the electricity being used lol! But tell her can't skimp out on a few bucks for the health of the tort! I have mine 13 hours, 7 till 8

josh shultis

ontario, canada
might be able to get away with 13-14, it depends what time they get up an to to bed, if they go to bed before 9 then you can shut it off when they do I think. I'm a newbie though johnsson is a pro so id be taking his advice over mine lol!

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
A couple hours a day is probably more than enough. There really isn't a need to have the UVB light on for 12 or 13 hours.

josh shultis

ontario, canada
A couple hours a day is probably more than enough. There really isn't a need to have the UVB light on for 12 or 13 hours.

Well I wouldn't go that far, the uvb lights don't put out nearly what the sun does so even with 12 hours with the light on it's only like being out in the sun for a few hours

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Well I wouldn't go that far, the uvb lights don't put out nearly what the sun does so even with 12 hours with the light on it's only like being out in the sun for a few hours

What bulb are you comparing to what location?

josh shultis

ontario, canada
No matter what bulb you are using it should be on for atleast 12 hours, doesn't matter if it's mvb or fluorescent