Tortoise Winter room

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
I have a two car garage that I don't use at all, so of course, we have turned it into a turtle Winter House here in Arkansas. I have Marginateds, Redfoots and Leopards in there all separated by Species. The Floor is a 1.5 ft thick of Cypress Mulch and Dirt. I have a heater inside that keeps the ambient temp at about 70.

My question is lighting. Currently I am using multiple MVB Bulbs (on timers) and multiple CHE Bulbs(thermostat controlled) to make spaces that are hotter as well as basking spots.

I am wondering about switching to tube lights and CHE bulbs. I am looking for more cost efficiency. Would I need to hang tube light fixtures or build small stands for them?

Knowing I have about a 12X12 ft space (and maybe taking over the other 12x12 ft space also) is there a longer tube bulb that I could use that wouldn't have to be 13 inches from the tops of shells. (That seems really obtrusive in the middle of the space). I suppose I could hang it on their wall pointing diagonally maybe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would use the newer "HO" type bulbs. I use the 12%HO Arcadia bulbs, but those might be too strong to have running all day, unless you mounted them higher up. At 20" I get UVI reading of 6-7, which is really high. At 24-30" you'd probably get 2-4 UVI and that would be good for all day use.

Whether you hang them or mount them on stands of some sort, they need to be directly overhead and not at an angle.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
That's what I thought. And when you say 24-30 you mean 24-30 above the top of the shell correct.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I have also heard of some people using just regular daylight bulbs for the room. And then using these UV bulbs three to four hours during the day

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have also heard of some people using just regular daylight bulbs for the room. And then using these UV bulbs three to four hours during the day

I use four things:
1. Regular incandescent basking bulbs on a 12 hour timer.
2. Regular florescent bulb in the 5000-6500K color range for light on the same timer as the basking bulb.
3. Strong UV tube on its own timer for 3-4 hours mid day.
4. Heating element set on a thermostat to maintain ambient. I use different ones for different applications. CHE, Kane Mat, RHP (radian heat panel), and oil-filled radiant heaters.

Last edited:

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I use four things:
1. Regular incandescent basking bulbs on a 12 hour timer.
2. Regular florescent bulb in the 5000-6500K color range for light on the same times as the basking bulb.
3. Strong UV tube on its own timer for 3-4 hours mid day.
4. Heating element set on a thermostat to maintain ambient. I use different ones for different applications. CHE, Kane Mat, RHP (radian heat panel), and oil-filled radiant heaters.

Thank you that is hugely helpful. I have an oil filled radiant heater for the whole room as a heater. I am going to plan this out a bit better and get an Electrician to put in some new outlets for me.