Hanging UV light?

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
It doesn't matter the bulb or location, that's irrelevant, I'm just saying it should be on at least 12 hours a day

Sorry, I disagree. If your tortoise gets outside time in the sun regularly, an indoor UV doesn't need to be on for 12 hours. Many keepers who's tortoises live outside in the warmest months but over winter inside don't use UV lights at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It doesn't matter the bulb or location, that's irrelevant, I'm just saying it should be on at least 12 hours a day

Well I wouldn't go that far, the uvb lights don't put out nearly what the sun does so even with 12 hours with the light on it's only like being out in the sun for a few hours

Location and bulb matter when trying to make that comparison because every bulb is different and so is every location. I think the comparison is flawed but if you are gonna make it might as well be specific. Part of the problem with reptile/UVB lighting is this idea that no bulb is as strong as the sun. At close distances, the amount and intensity of UV produced by bulbs far exceed any solar UV that reaches the ground. This is why UV meters really are becoming a 'must have' item.

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Sorry, I disagree. If your tortoise gets outside time in the sun regularly, an indoor UV doesn't need to be on for 12 hours. Many keepers who's tortoises live outside in the warmest months but over winter inside don't use UV lights at all.

Yep I totally agree,he never said he kept his tortoise outside I'm assuming it's inside that's why I said atleast 12 hours. If it gets outside time that's a totally different ball game!

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Location and bulb matter when trying to make that comparison because every bulb is different and so is every location. I think the comparison is flawed but if you are gonna make it might as well be specific. Part of the problem with reptile/UVB lighting is this idea that no bulb is as strong as the sun. At close distances, the amount and intensity of UV produced by bulbs far exceed any solar UV that reaches the ground. This is why UV meters really are becoming a 'must have' item.

Yep I no the location an bulb matter,I was saying it didn't Because he didn't ask. I was just trying to answer his question about how long to leave his lights on he didn't ask how far away to hang it or all that because I'm assuming he already knows. But ya your right a uvb metre is a must

Reptilelove

Plymouth

My tort doesnt get much time outside because its often not hot or sunny enough, that is why we have it on for 13 hours :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
My tort doesnt get much time outside because its often not hot or sunny enough, that is why we have it on for 13 hours :)

Even so, you probably don't need the UVB light on for a full 13 hours. People conflate the need for a 12-13 hour 'day' with the length of time needed for UVB. The popularity of MVBs/all in one bulbs doesn't help since the light and UVB are coming from the same source. Depending on set up, I would say 4-6 hours of UVB from a 'good' bulb is more than sufficient. Observe the animals basking behavior so that those hours are during the their basking time.