Hard or Soft Water?

C. Nelson

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Junction, CO
I teach first grade and we have repeated a water science experiment twice now. We put tap water in one cup, Coca Cola in another, and vinegar in a third. We dropped in each one of those little candy pumpkins that you get at Halloween. Guess which liquid dissolved the candy first in BOTH experiments? The tap water from a public school faucet that passes government inspections. I always soak my torts in filtered water now just because I am afraid the tap water in my home might be acidic as well. I don't think it's a big deal unless it's a water turtle. But I just want to be safe.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I teach first grade and we have repeated a water science experiment twice now. We put tap water in one cup, Coca Cola in another, and vinegar in a third. We dropped in each one of those little candy pumpkins that you get at Halloween. Guess which liquid dissolved the candy first in BOTH experiments? The tap water from a public school faucet that passes government inspections. I always soak my torts in filtered water now just because I am afraid the tap water in my home might be acidic as well. I don't think it's a big deal unless it's a water turtle. But I just want to be safe.

If, as I do, the water from your tap leaves limescale all over your kettle then there is absolutely no way it is acidic.

Test your water with litmus paper... or take it to a pet store that sells fish and get them to test the water for you... one of the tests they do is the pH level, ie acidity.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I resisted the explaination trying to avoid a long, boring post. The problem I find is that most of my thoughts on tortoise/turtle needs are based upon experience and studies from a broad range of topics and how they all would then fit together. The study showing Ca in water is just as bioavailable as in milk, for example, is one small piece of a puzzle of 100 pieces. It is how they all fit together (or not fit) that leads to my conclusions.

A few pieces... soil and ground water in most areas tortoises are found is both high in total alkalinity and acidic. In tropical forest species, rainwater that puddles and feeds water sources is much higher there in ionic calcium content, for example. I also tend to look at what is optimal as the enviroment best for a developing embryo that would be the most sensitive period of an animal's life. For example - What is the best temperature for a tortoise actively growing? = the best incubation temperature! There is more and more evidence I see that developing chelonian eggs are very much affected by the acidity and total hardness of the moisture to which they are exposed. Rainwater that moistens the nest prior to hatchling emerging are filtered by high mineral, acidic soil in areas that were in a more dry period previously. In the tropical forests the rainwater itself is very high in ionic calcium, potassium and magnesium. I believe many scute abnormalities are related to this chemistry (not incubation temps) when the mother's water content she uses while laying, and the moisture used for the incubation media is too soft and alkaline.

So from just those few examples, I feel there is enough reason to err on the side of caution and try to more closely mimic nature with the chemistry of the water our chelonians use.

In @Tom and @Markw84 - We Trust :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not an indication of acidity. This is an indication of which is a better solvent. Water is an excellent solvent, especially of sugar.

What type of filter are you using to change the perceived acidity of your water? Most household filters remove particulates, but don't change the chemical nature or pH of the water. RO water would do it, but that is not good for your tortoises due to lack of minerals.