Tort Shell Hard Water Deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valrico, FL
Since I mist my tort daily with warm water from tap, should I be concerned about water deposit? Should I be misting with a different kind of water or with filtered rain water? Is there a way to remove hard water from a tortoise shell or is hard water deposits a concern?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't imagine you would have to worry about minor hard water deposits....unless of course the new name "crusty" comes to mind when you look at your tort...lol..then you may want to gently rub over your torts shell with an ultra soft brush (toddler soft toothbrush type) from time to time if you find the need to get it off of the shell....:p

I don't have that concern here as we are on well water in this part of town....:D

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
Can I use diluted vinegar water solution to wipe his shell clean?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmmm? I personally would not use it...now understand please....my feelings are not based on any scientific reason :D just sounds well, a bit stinky...lol...I believe a soft bristled brush would eventually cure the water deposits......I don't see why the vinegar would hurt as a rub but I think you may want to rinse when done.....peee uuuu:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not a problem. I use filtered rain water to spray the shells with because I don't like how it looks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HUH? You USE it because you DON'T like it?????????

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Tom said:
It is not a problem. I use filtered rain water to spray the shells with because I don't like how it looks.

Sorry learning to use the app.

Unless you know for sure that your rain water is cleaner than your tap or drinking water you most likely are acid washing your torts.

I recommend using bottled or filtered water for water bowls and foggers and sensitive items like that.

Otherwise you will eventually see a crusty residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.