harvesting greens from outdoors for winter months

Pia B

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
No, I let mine just hang dry in a mesh laundry bag. I tried the sealer and burnt it out in one day trying to seal a bunch of cactus a few years back when it wasn't so easy for me to get them.
Going to get a couple of laundry bags and try your method just in case my freezing is a flop :) Thanks for the idea

Pia B

Massachusetts
What a lucky tortoise! My tortoise has never received mail! lol
I know huh ? I mentioned on my face book page if any of my FB friends have any growing in their gardens and 3 days later a package arrives . He now has a source for the fruit when they in season and another person will send the blooms . I post a lot of pictures and videos of Speedbump he has build himself a big fan base . They keep asking for his own page :)

Pia B

Massachusetts
was able to get pumpkin leaves from a local pumpkin patch :) and I was gifted a small pumpkin for Speedbump , score ! I also made an appointment to have his stool checked . 17 years and I had never had a stool sample done. Reading through this forum I became aware that this is part of normal sulcata care . I have all kinds of animals they all get worming /stool check . We back on track and full force

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Believe it or not I found cactus at my local fee market... They sell it year round! Maybe that will help you guys out. They even sold aloe and cactus fruit.

Yep, same here. Our international market, now called Super Best, sells dandelion, cactus pads, aloe all year round, as well as everything else for ppl. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here are my bags hanging in the shed. All but one are filled with leaves from family in Michigan. One has grass. The grass stays in good, but some will fall out when moved. I still have all my trees to pick leaves from, will probably get another 3-4 bags. If you have a walmart near by the mesh laundry bags are 98 cents.
IMG_2557.JPG

Pia B

Massachusetts
Here are my bags hanging in the shed. All but one are filled with leaves from family in Michigan. One has grass. The grass stays in good, but some will fall out when moved. I still have all my trees to pick leaves from, will probably get another 3-4 bags. If you have a walmart near by the mesh laundry bags are 98 cents.
View attachment 220584
what kind of leaves are you drying ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
what kind of leaves are you drying ??
Those are grape and maple. When I do my own trees, I will have Rose of Sharon, mulberry, lilac, hibiscus and another kind I don't remember the name of, plus more grass and weeds, as
Soon as I get yards cut.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Those are grape and maple. When I do my own trees, I will have Rose of Sharon, mulberry, lilac, hibiscus and another kind I don't remember the name of, plus more grass and weeds, as
Soon as I get yards cut.
Oh I had no idea he can have lilac leaves I have a bush in my yard ! I am going to plant some rose of sharon next year ( lost mine a few years back ) A neighbor down the street have grape leaves I am going to ask tomorrow if they mind me cutting some .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh I had no idea he can have lilac leaves I have a bush in my yard ! I am going to plant some rose of sharon next year ( lost mine a few years back ) A neighbor down the street have grape leaves I am going to ask tomorrow if they mind me cutting some .
Just be sure they don't use any pesticides or fertilizers. If they do, try to get a cutting to grow your own and then use next years leaves to feed.

steppingonlegos

5 Year Member
For those of you who use horse pellets, are they used in place of fresh daily grass or just more as supplements once in awhile? We have a baby so this will be his first winter. We will have indoor seed trays rotating but he's pretty picky about eating straight from fresh growth. We have bunnies and hadn't considered that maybe their pellets would be a good daily alternative to fresh grass in the winter?

Pia B

Massachusetts
For those of you who use horse pellets, are they used in place of fresh daily grass or just more as supplements once in awhile? We have a baby so this will be his first winter. We will have indoor seed trays rotating but he's pretty picky about eating straight from fresh growth. We have bunnies and hadn't considered that maybe their pellets would be a good daily alternative to fresh grass in the winter?
No I still give regular hay and greens . I alternate the Timothy hay pellets , regular Mazuri and Zoomed grassland tortoise diet during the week . Mine likes all 3 just got some Mazuri LS haven't tried that yet . With the hay pellets mine are 100 % timothy hay . There is a difference between forage pellets or even some brands of hay pellets they are not 100% hay . As for bunny pellets most have veggies mixed in , not sure how suitable bunny food is . If you know someone with a horse that feeds it ask them for some if not PM me I can send you a pound for your baby because the Standlee pellets come in 50 pound bags but your bunny will be able to eat it too .

Bass.Isles

View attachment 220584
What kind of trees do you have that you pick leaves from?

steppingonlegos

5 Year Member
No I still give regular hay and greens . I alternate the Timothy hay pellets , regular Mazuri and Zoomed grassland tortoise diet during the week . Mine likes all 3 just got some Mazuri LS haven't tried that yet . With the hay pellets mine are 100 % timothy hay . There is a difference between forage pellets or even some brands of hay pellets they are not 100% hay . As for bunny pellets most have veggies mixed in , not sure how suitable bunny food is . If you know someone with a horse that feeds it ask them for some if not PM me I can send you a pound for your baby because the Standlee pellets come in 50 pound bags but your bunny will be able to eat it too .

Ok thanks for the detailed feedback. Our rabbits do only eat straight Timothy pellets so I may be able to rotate with the Mazuri and whatever I can harvest from tray growth.

Anne L

Sarasota FL, USA
JUST A NOTE ON MILKWEED. My mom raises it for her butterflies. She got some of the sap in her eye while wiping sweat away and it blinded her for 5 days!! The ophthalmologist said it was a classic case of milkweed eye poisoning. I do not know if tortoises can eat milk weed or not, but I am very very careful with it these days. (10 days of 3 kinds of eye drops and her vision is back, but it was scary)