Hatchling enclosure advice

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
View attachment 137038View attachment 137039View attachment 137040

Here is a view of the top, the inside of the lid and a pic of it sitting on the stand. The thermostat sensor is at tort level and I just got my min/max thermometer and hydrometer in the mail today. By the looks of it humidity isn't a problem.
Looks good. Dont trust the thermostat setting. When I set mine up basically I calibrated a digital temperature gauge with the thermostat. So for example my thermostat may kick in and out at 100f reading but the actual reading with a digital reader at tort level is 90f. Also don't let your tort touch thermostat probe. Doesnt matter how high you put it. But away from che. Just make sure digital readout says the temp what you want at tort level. It's errelivent what your stat is set at. You can get really cheap digital temp and humidity readers off eBay for aboh £4. Hope that made sense.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
The tort can't touch the probe? Will they try to eat it or something?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The tort can't touch the probe? Will they try to eat it or something?
Yeh probably. I wouldn't risk it. If you have a good stat. Then it will be accurate at the probe. Trouble is the probe doesn't want to be where the tort can get it. So if you put the probe high up out of tort reach you will end up setting the stat higher than the required temp at tort level because it will naturally be hotter higher up in your enclosure. How big is your tort.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Don't have one yet (only adults in my yard). I ordered a hatchling and my adults are breeding (fingers crossed) so it will be for them. I have a temp gun too. So far they match but the probe is laying on the ground.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Don't have one yet (only adults in my yard). I ordered a hatchling and my adults are breeding (fingers crossed) so it will be for them. I have a temp gun too. So far they match but the probe is laying on the ground.
Cool. Howmany adults do you have. Any photos. So you've not dealt with juveniles yet.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
No juveniles and my wife and I don't have kids yet either. I'm in over my head! Haha. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435862869.880033.jpg
I caught these two behind the bushes. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435862996.505786.jpg
I'll get more off FB

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
That's what I'm told. They have very slight pyramiding so I'm willing to believe it. I suppose they could have been farm raised and long term captives. How can you really know when you're buying an adult, you know?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's what I'm told. They have very slight pyramiding so I'm willing to believe it. I suppose they could have been farm raised and long term captives. How can you really know when you're buying an adult, you know?
They look good. The one in the middle of the picture of all 3 looks a right corker. All my adults have pyramiding. But I don't know there history. I'm a sucker for the less than fortunate torts. All have good characters and seem happy.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436210168.833941.jpg
I've got it furnished now. Coconut coir bottom, orchid bark topping, fake plants to make the little guy feel more secure. What do you think?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 137643
I've got it furnished now. Coconut coir bottom, orchid bark topping, fake plants to make the little guy feel more secure. What do you think?
I don't use orchid bark so can't comment on that. See what others say. Do you have a feeding slate of sorts. Something s/he can feed off that is flat, slate or terrocota plate so it keeps the beak in shape as s/ he feeds. Maybe another hide too to give your tort options. Also can you get some cuttlefish for her to chomp on for calcium. :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I prefer ceramic heat emitters with thermostats. The light coming on and off all the time seems unnatural. I sure wouldn't want to heat my house this way

I have some old builds my signature that may give you some ideas.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I have a small terra cotta saucer for food and a one that's a little larger for water

I also opted for CHE controlled with a thermostat.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a small terra cotta saucer for food and a one that's a little larger for water

I also opted for CHE controlled with a thermostat.
Can you have the substrate in areas that is just coco. Mine love to bury into the coco. So you could have 2 terrains. Coco and bark. Then see what your tort prefers. You don't want you tort trying to eat the bark. Just my thoughts. Again maybe someone more experienced can advise on using bark. When do you get your juvenile.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I don't have any bark in the hide and the bark is shallow but I could "rake" it out of some areas. I've seen it used in setups here. I have cypress mulch too. I just wanted to use something that would keep the surface dryer to prevent shell rot and to keep the coir out of the food and water.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't have any bark in the hide and the bark is shallow but I could "rake" it out of some areas. I've seen it used in setups here. I have cypress mulch too. I just wanted to use something that would keep the surface dryer to prevent shell rot and to keep the coir out of the food and water.
Use cyprus mulch instead of bark. Will help you with humidity too. I use cyprus mulch in areas. Also I use spaghnum moss.