Redfoot enclosure questions

Rknowles92

Location (City and/or State)
tampa, florida
Hi, all I'm new here and have some questions. I will be getting my redfoot hatchling tomorrow, and just had a few questions. As of now I have a cement mixing tub, and repti bark. I've heard red heat bulbs don't work well, so should I get a UVB and a ceramic heat emitter?

Also, i got the cement mixing tub so it would be easy to transport outside, could I possibly keep it outside with a screen top and bring it inside at night?

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Hi, it looks like we're both in Tampa! Welcome to the wonderful world of Red Foots! Living in this area, you'll be able to have your RF outside 90% of the year. When you have him inside, I'd recommend a closed chamber style enclosure that keeps in humidity. I heat mine with an under tank heater. I don't worry too much about lighting the little bit he's inside.

When you take him outside, just make sure he's in a predator proof enclosure that isn't in direct sun. The little guys can overheat easily if they haven't learned how to thermo-regulate.

Rknowles92

tampa, florida
Hey, thanks for the reply. So would you recommend me building/buying a small outdoor enclosure of some sort, or could i just take the cement mixing tub outside and build a predator proof top for it? Would that work? Then use the under tank heater at night when i bring it in?

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Hey, thanks for the reply. So would you recommend me building/buying a small outdoor enclosure of some sort, or could i just take the cement mixing tub outside and build a predator proof top for it? Would that work? Then use the under tank heater at night when i bring it in?
You could use your tub for now. As he gets bigger you'll want to give him more space. Hatchlings are easiest to monitor in a small enclosure.

Feel free to hit me up if you have anymore questions along the way.

Rknowles92

tampa, florida
Thanks for your help.

I'm gonna go ahead and keep the cement mixing tub, and just bring it in at night then once it gets a little bigger i'll build a 8x10 enclosure.