Hatchling enclosure

chuckster548

10 Year Member!
Neighbor kid stopped by the other day with a hatchling in a box and said "we found your turtle ". Any i have 3 DT's and not sure about the kid. I've kept her in a container with water and I'm feeding her 2 times a day and placing her outside (I'm in Phoenix so its hot) for a few hours a day. I know she's too young to introduce to the others so I got a kiddy pool and would appreciate some help in setting it up. Should she be outside all the time with shade and water? Or should I continue partial days outside.
I've rambled long enough. Thanks in advance for any help.
Peace

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Are you sure it's a baby DT? If so, then you should find out where it was found and return it to the wild.

If not, post some photos and we can ID the turtle/tortoise.

chuckster548

10 Year Member!
Here's a pic. We live in an area with acre lots and our neighbor's kid brought her over. They also found one in the street so I'm not sure if I can return her. So that's why I'm asking about enclosures.
Thanks

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I agree Mark, definitely a sulcata.

It's very concerning if this is a wild-hatched sulcata. I don't see another explanation beyond someone breeding them in the neighborhood and a baby getting loose. Sounds like there is a possible invasive species problem starting up. Someone else mentioned a secondhand account of finding a baby sulcata somewhere near Tucson. If this is the case, sulcatas may be the first invasive tortoise that I have heard of.

Does this tortoise have front legs or have they been chewed off? It's hard to tell from the picture. Here's the care sheet:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm sure you both have heard my tales of head-starting Sulcata and Gopherus agassizii clutches for Y. At times I just had herds or creeps of tortoises, both species, not mixed, but while I was very good at what I did for her...if you showed me 1 tortoise of either species alone...I never get the species correct...and at times it's damned embarrassing...I know Mark is always correct...he should be wrong once just once...lol...just for me...:)

chuckster548

10 Year Member!
I agree Mark, definitely a sulcata.

It's very concerning if this is a wild-hatched sulcata. I don't see another explanation beyond someone breeding them in the neighborhood and a baby getting loose. Sounds like there is a possible invasive species problem starting up. Someone else mentioned a secondhand account of finding a baby sulcata somewhere near Tucson. If this is the case, sulcatas may be the first invasive tortoise that I have heard of.

Does this tortoise have front legs or have they been chewed off? It's hard to tell from the picture. Here's the care sheet:

Wow, she's missing her front right but her left seems good.
I thought I was the only one with tortoises in the neighborhood (I'm pretty sure they're Desert but now I gonna have to check,lol)

nicoleann2214

NY
Wow, she's missing her front right but her left seems good.
I thought I was the only one with tortoises in the neighborhood (I'm pretty sure they're Desert but now I gonna have to check,lol)
Can you take more pics?