Hatchling Food Quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello all,
I was wondering how much food you generally give to hatchlings (I have 2 cherryheads). I've read some conflicting viewpoints on this, and I really am not looking for folks to start a debate, I'd just like to know how much you have fed your hatchlings - past or present.

I realize this differs with age and food type (greens vs. fruits vs. meat/insects). Have any of you supplemented or provided proteins to your hatchlings?

Okay, I'm going to leave it at that.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris:

I've never had RF hatchlings, but I've raised 3 YF's from eggs. I just put a big pile of food on their feeding tile and if it disappears too fast I know I didn't put down enough. I like to have enough that the tortoise walks away and leaves some rather than to have them eat it all up.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The technically correct, but not very helpful, answer is that they need a certain range of calories, key nutrients, and bulk every day.

More functionally, offer all of the high calcium, high fiber, low calorie food you want (greens, leaves, weeds, flowers, mushrooms, etc.), but limit the higher calorie stuff to an amount about the size of the tortoise's head.

Or, do it the way Yvonne does it, which obviously works as well!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thanks Yvonne & Mark! I've been giving them all wild weeds/leaves so far (Dandelion, grape, chicory, plantains, clover, etc.) and have decided to leave it there for the day today. I've mixed in a couple chicory and dandelion flowers to keep their interest and they seem pretty happy about it.

Mark, I've been reading a lot of different diet info but I tend to agree with your stance at the Tortoise Library and Melissa Kaplan's page on diet. I can't imagine a RF, at any age, over eating while foraging. So, I've stuck with high fiber and calcium foods and will offer it to them for extended periods of time.

I know there is no right answer, seems many ways are working for loads of people. Thank you for your input(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.