Hatchling has bad gas?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My little leopard tortoise seems to be suffering from gas buildup. She has massive feces, as well. The first time I became aware of the anomaly, two days ago, I had noticed her throwing her head around in distress, and then she had episodes of audible gas release for ~5 minutes! It stopped once I soaked her and she defecated... she is less active, to the point of hiding herself all day. She had not had any funky food that I can think of, but obviously something upset her G.I.
Stopped giving hibiscus and pumpkin about a week prior to first noticing symptoms, so not sure if that could have caused the issues?

Any home remedies? If it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'll haul her to Dallas for an exotic vet, but that stressed out my beardie out very much, and I can only imagine how a tiny hatchling tortoise would take it!

20181018_235843.jpeg20181015_192057.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Gas while pooping is not unusual. My Greek frequently made his own jacuzzi while pooping :D I don't think this requires a vet.

Massive poops indicate a healthy appetite. What goes in one end has to come out the other end.

Torts are like humans when it comes to pooping... To do so successfully requires good hydration and plenty of dietary fibre.

Dietary fibre is highest in the weeds in a Leo's diet. Salad greens are typically very low in fibre Leos also eat grass which is good for fibre. They tend not to eat much grass when very small, but it will do no harm to snip a very small amount of grass into tiny bits with scissors and sprinkle it onto wet food. (Only a very small amount when introducing a new food ot your tort will refuse)

Wetting food before feeding it helps to improve hydration. What are you feeding your tort?

Soak your tort daily for 20-30 minutes to improve hydration. If your tort is straining then increase the length and/or frequency of soaks. Soaking for 30 minutes twice a day will do no harm.

Brit G

Texas
Glad to know my hatchling isn't the only one having fartfeativals! I feed moistened mizuri diet, grass (loves it!), mustard greens (very limited), Timothy hay (very limited). Used to feed other foods but restricted down to 65-80% grass and mizuri diet.
I soak once a day for around 20 minutes. She only defecates while soaking lol.
Gas while pooping is not unusual. My Greek frequently made his own jacuzzi while pooping :D I don't think this requires a vet.

Massive poops indicate a healthy appetite. What goes in one end has to come out the other end.

Torts are like humans when it comes to pooping... To do so successfully requires good hydration and plenty of dietary fibre.

Dietary fibre is highest in the weeds in a Leo's diet. Salad greens are typically very low in fibre Leos also eat grass which is good for fibre. They tend not to eat much grass when very small, but it will do no harm to snip a very small amount of grass into tiny bits with scissors and sprinkle it onto wet food. (Only a very small amount when introducing a new food ot your tort will refuse)

Wetting food before feeding it helps to improve hydration. What are you feeding your tort?

Soak your tort daily for 20-30 minutes to improve hydration. If your tort is straining then increase the length and/or frequency of soaks. Soaking for 30 minutes twice a day will do no harm.

Brit G

Texas
Thanks for the info btw! Good to know these facts!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Brit G

Texas
Ah will do! Thanks!

I wouldn't rely just on Mazuri and grass. You need to get some leafy greens in there too. Tom's list of foods to consider is in this thread
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Write a list of plants that grow around you and those that you can buy and look them up in The Tortoise Table Plant Database; it's a fabulous online facility that tells how frequently things can be fed and why (or why not)
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk