Hatchling Health EMERGENCY

Ivy Moorman

Our Little Sulcata Lewis hasn't been doing so well. Since we got him last Christmas, he wouldn't eat much. Lately (past few months) his eyes have been shut and only would open during a "carrot soaking" (to help with Vitamin A). He now has stopped eating all together and become very sluggish. We woke up this morning and he was completely inside of his shell (legs, arms, head, tail) and is unresponsive. He is cold to the touch and eyes are shut. This is such a heartbreaking question, but does anyone know if he could be dead? I know they say Sulcatas do not hibernate, but I am holding on to whatever hope I have left. Please if anyone can give me some insight, I would highly appreciate it.

Ivy Moorman

This is what he looks like right now. We're trying to keep him warm under his lamp. I took him out to take this picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 58

phebe121

I dont know but i really wish you the best tell tell us about his enclosure lighting heat food your feeding how often u soak in water

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
tell me how you are caring for him what do you feed him? whats his cage temps/humidity? how often do you soak him? substrate? what type of lights?
he should not be cold to the touch, like all reptiles they can't produce there own body heat they need warmth.

Ivy Moorman

This is his enclosure. Temps are about 70-75 during the day at night it's about 50-60. We soak him almost every day. We soak him in warm water for about 20 min, and when he started to become sluggish we bought some organic baby food (carrot and squash) and incorporated that into his warm water soaks. The substrate we use is a soil and coconut grass type.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53

phebe121

Def needs to warmer.no tell if hes dead yet does he have any movement when u tuch him id try to get him warmed up in a smaller tank would be easyer to get warm

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry you're going through these problems with your baby. I see right off, from the habitat picture, that your lights are up way too high and the enclosure is way too open. The baby simply is too cold. To quote Tom's post up above, "This is a tropical species. They need it warm day and night. No lower than 80." In order to achieve this, you will have to lower the light/heat, and cover that habitat to keep the warm air in and the cold house air out.

Because your baby is quite ill now (maybe even dead), you will have to set him up in a smaller hospital tank. A 10 gallon aquarium serves well for this, or any plastic tub you have of a small size. You need to warm this baby up clear through to his core.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wishing you all the best with this little one, but if he is not gone yet, you need to change things quickly to give him any chance.
Along with all the other things you need to change, if you are using a coil uvb bulb, you need to get rid of that also. They have been know. To cause eye problems. Use a Mercury vapor bulb, they need to point straight down, not on an angle. Toms threads are below in my post for proper care. You should have come here back when you first noticed him not eating, he would have had a better chance. Now it's very critical you get things right for him, if it's not already too late for him. Please let us know what's going on.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm sorry! How's he doing?
I also have to add, if he's still alive ( I know, I'm sorry!) if gently prod his head area, or tickle his armpit places, he should move!
It sounds like he's too cold, which was affecting his appetite, because tort won't eat if they can't digest it (aka too cold)

phebe121

I know i want an upfate as well i thought about this little guy all night

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I hope the little guy is alright, you know how to fix things now so as long as you turn the care around he'll have a chance.

As for knowing his fate (and I'm hoping by now you've at least figured it out one way or the other) I've read people who have them all tucked into their shells like that pull out a back foot, like kinda pull it out of his shell some, if its limp and comes out easy and stays out its not good news, but could just be severely lethargic, but if there's resistance at all he's still living in there.
Once again I'm sorry about how bad this became, and I hope for the best in an update:<3: