RE: Emergency

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They don't like change. Am I understanding correctly, he was outside and because the weather is changing you moved him inside. I think he's upset and a bit scared because of the new living arrangements.
Florida has had a cool snap over the last 48 hours.
It dipped into the upper 60s here in Broward County

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If it was me, I would put him to soak in 3/4 inch of warmish water, or water up to the level of where his top and bottom shells meet. in a closed plastic tub that he cannot come out of, and keep the water warm, for at least 30 minutes, in case he has become dehydrated. Keeping an eye on him of course. Good luck. Hope he is OK!

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How is your tortoise doing today?

sowwer

Bradenton
i have a leopard tortoise that's not older than two years old. I put him in this indoor enclosure with his heat lamp on, sense it's too cold outside. He has complete stop responding to any stimulation. I've had him sense Abril and everything has been fine. I'm so scared he is dead. His legs are kind of limp, but he has both of his front legs inside and i try to move them to see his eyes, but they won't move. Do they hibernate or his he dead. I'm so scared pls help me. I placed him in water for five mins and nothing.
To update you guys, Darwin did pass away this morning. His eyes were sucked in and his body was limp. Clear snot came from his nose. I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
To update you guys, Darwin did pass away this morning. His eyes were sucked in and his body was limp. Clear snot came from his nose. I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Do you have any idea what could have happened? Was his behavior normal before yesterday? It's highly unusual for a tortoise to go downhill so quickly with no explanation, at least from what I've seen.

You mentioned that you have a redfoot. You may want to keep an eye on this tortoise in case some contagious illness was the cause. I would not move anything that was in the leopard's enclosure to the redfoot's.

Last edited: