Hatchling losing weight

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I have three hatchling radiateds. All of them were gaining weight consistently until now. One of them has suddenly taken a turn. When I got him he was 86g on 8/21/22 on 9/19 he weighed 113g. Still seems fine and eats well but he keeps bouncing between 107 and 110. The others are now about 125g. I’m wondering how worried I should be. Should I take a fecal sample to the vet? Or is this not a big deal?

I keep them on cococoir. They are outside during the day. Their night bin is kept at 85* at night. humidity is over 70%. I feed them mazuri, spring mix, weeds, cactus, hibiscus, dandelion and a little fruit occasionally.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have three hatchling radiateds. All of them were gaining weight consistently until now. One of them has suddenly taken a turn. When I got him he was 86g on 8/21/22 on 9/19 he weighed 113g. Still seems fine and eats well but he keeps bouncing between 107 and 110. The others are now about 125g. I’m wondering how worried I should be. Should I take a fecal sample to the vet? Or is this not a big deal?

I keep them on cococoir. They are outside during the day. Their night bin is kept at 85* at night. humidity is over 70%. I feed them mazuri, spring mix, weeds, cactus, hibiscus, dandelion and a little fruit occasionally.

Thanks!
Are you soaking daily?

Is the substrate outside sandy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know mich about them except they are one of my fave. But I don't think they are suppose to eat fruit, even occasionally. Stop the fruit, it messes up their gut if they are one that shouldn't have it.
Also you could try setting him up by himself. He may be getting bullied by the other two or at least try feeding him away from the others so he gets to eat all he wants in peace.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Are you soaking daily?

Is the substrate outside sandy?
Yes I soak 10-15 minutes a day. Outside setup is a cement mixing tub with cococoir. Same substrate in both setups.