Hatchling or yearling?

Would you rather get a hatchling or a yearling? And why?

• Hatchling

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Yearling

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Ok, so after reading about one of our members baby torts passing due to, what would seem to me, a vet with little knowledge giving many shots that I think were just wrong, I wanted to post my first poll. The question is: would you rather buy a hatchling or a tortoise that is older, and why did you choose your answer?
In my case the answer is a hatchling. The reason is simple to me at least. Cooper has been a joy, even when my ignorance about killed him due to the lack of warmth I was providing, even though it seemed enough, it wasn't. Having him as a hatchling, he has grown very comfortable with me to the point that 75% of the time I can lay my hand down by him and he will walk to it and put his leg in my hand to let me pick him up. I feel raising him from a 2 month old has bonded us on some level. And I don't care what anyone says, torts can either have some kind of connection with us beyond food concerns, or I have a mutant with real feelings because he knows that when I pick him up its not for food, its to either be put in bed with me, which is every night for a couple hours, or to go to the bath. And since I rescued Ophelia at 7 years old, she still has no bond with me or the wife at all after a year. And my wife and I have spent countless hours with her just to try and get her just a little more comfortable with us. So, those are my hard headed reasons! :p Have a great day ALL my forum friends, and that's to those that DO and DO NOT agree with what I say and feel and believe, as ALL of you have helped me in one way or another and I care for you all, even if we don't agree on certain things.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Depends.

For me and others who have experience with reptiles and raising hatchlings, I would want a tortoise as soon as possible from hatchling out of the egg.

For someone with no experience raising hatchling, I think it would better for them to purchase an older tortoise. Raising hatchlings is a lot of work and can be tricking to balance everything they require. An older tortoise would be a lot more forgiving.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I choose Hatchling simply because I already made that decision 6 months ago and now have a 5 month old Hatchling and one who's a little older. I 1st made the decision because I want to try my hand at a newly hatched Tort because I have been taking care of WalkingRock for 7 years now but he was 5 when I met Cathie.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
I am the forum member who just experienced the loss of a baby tort. Three months ago, I would have said hatchling, and really for the same reasons you chose. I have had box turtkes and sliders off and on all my life and never had any issues (other than an occasional lawnmower mishap with some wild box turtles when I was just a kid. But having just gone through the month and a half of fret and sadness that all the "rights" weren't fixing the problem, I would have to say that it seems like a hit or miss with the hatchljng you receive. So if a person counts all possible costs (financially and emotionally), and is willing to endure whatever, then perhaps a hatchling is a good choice. Maybe down the road, my hubby and I can concider trying a newbie once more, but for now, while my children are still young, a healthier yearling might ve easier on their little hearts. Good post! I hope new potential tort owners read all of the answers here.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Neal said:
Depends.

For me and others who have experience with reptiles and raising hatchlings, I would want a tortoise as soon as possible from hatchling out of the egg.

For someone with no experience raising hatchling, I think it would better for them to purchase an older tortoise. Raising hatchlings is a lot of work and can be tricking to balance everything they require. An older tortoise would be a lot more forgiving.

I really do see your point Neal. I think I just got lucky that I was a member here before Cooper got his URI and had many people tell me to get him to the vet ASAP once I told of his symptoms. If the outcome would have went south, I may have a different view of it. I guess you have to ask yourself if you are willing to go through the heartbreak of losing a hatchling if something goes wrong? I'm very thankfull to everyone here for all the help I have had with Cooper!

ErikaO said:
I am the forum member who just experienced the loss of a baby tort. Three months ago, I would have said hatchling, and really for the same reasons you chose. I have had box turtkes and sliders off and on all my life and never had any issues (other than an occasional lawnmower mishap with some wild box turtles when I was just a kid. But having just gone through the month and a half of fret and sadness that all the "rights" weren't fixing the problem, I would have to say that it seems like a hit or miss with the hatchljng you receive. So if a person counts all possible costs (financially and emotionally), and is willing to endure whatever, then perhaps a hatchling is a good choice. Maybe down the road, my hubby and I can concider trying a newbie once more, but for now, while my children are still young, a healthier yearling might ve easier on their little hearts. Good post! I hope new potential tort owners read all of the answers here.
Yeppers, this poll/post is due to the horrible issues you just went through. I'm very sorry for your loss and thanks for posting here, that was very well said! :)

sportychick

5 Year Member
Well I'm a first time tortoise.owner. I do not know how old my tort is. I have pics posted if any care to guess :) I hope to do well and I am really glad I came across this site.. my tort has been with me for 4 days now.

I'm sorry for ur loss Erika...its really sad!

HtVic

5 Year Member
how old is hatchling? how old is yearling?
because even you have a 2 years old tort, if you lack of knowledge of how to care of it, you still can't raise a tortoise successfully.
so question is how much knowledge do you have about raising a tortoise

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I would base my decsion much on the exact age and species of tort I would prefer to work with. Not to get this thread poll off topic, but that vet was more than likely resorted to be the retpile/"turtle vet" by the staff and perhaps some locals that may have had some success treating minor issues with other torts/reptiles. I dont fully blame the vet in that while debacle with the baby tort, however, simple research would have led the vet to specific treatment, meds, advice rather than just load up on vitamin A. being in the veterinary field for 15 years now (emergency/critical care and reptile/amphibian medicine), injections of vitamin supplents is way old school. most non-exotic vets do not realize that simple at home changes/adjustments and treatments, generally will help cure most issues with reptiles, given they are reliant on their environment and instinct to adapt to a suitable environment when ill or injured. many times, when micro-environment is enhanced/altered (ie, nasal/ocular discharge for instance, with many species increasing temps and lowering humidity for a period of time, will often rectify the problem/illness), can prove beneficial and even curative for many ailments in all kinds of reptiles

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
HtVic said:
how old is hatchling? how old is yearling?
because even you have a 2 years old tort, if you lack of knowledge of how to care of it, you still can't raise a tortoise successfully.
so question is how much knowledge do you have about raising a tortoise
When I say hatchling, I mean under 6 months, but I am sure everyone has their own opinion.Cooper was 2 months when I got him.

EKLC

5 Year Member
As long as the tortoise has a chance of survival when I get him, I'm fine with either.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I vote yearling. However that is only if I got it from someone I knew raised it right! I did the hatchling and every day was a worry, well until I found this forum. Then I didn't worry as much. However every day that something is a little out of sorts, you worry. Tatum has been very healthy (knock on wood thousand times) not one problem. But last week he went three days with out pooping. He always poops in his soak. So, worry, worry worry. You can imagine how happy I was when it finely happened:p:D. Hatchling from the right person, raised properly and still so much that can go wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This completely depends on both the source AND who it's going to.

I feel compelled to spell it out that hatchlings are no harder to care for than yearlings. They are not more delicate or fragile, in my opinion. I will grant that they can dehydrate quicker due to their smaller mass, but with daily soaks, humidty and drinking water available, this factor is eliminated. All else is the same. All these hatchlings that don't make it are victims of a persistent myth that they need "desert" conditions and all the misconceptions that go along with that. If you have the right set up and get a hatchling from a good source, they live just fine and do every bit as well as yearlings. If you have the wrong set up, or you buy a hatchling that was started all wrong, nothing you do will save it. The only thing I do differently between hatchlings and yearlings is relax a little bit on the daily soaks, once they get some size on them. How that baby was cared from from hatching until you got it, has EVERYTHING to do with your success or failure. It is very rare for a tortoise to hatch out and just not be quite right. It does happen rarely, but the breeder can clearly see this within days, if not right away.

If I am getting a new tortoise, it depends on the source. If it was someone like Neal or Katherine or any of the known forum members here that know what they are doing and start them right, I don't care about the age, since I KNOW it got excellent care right up until the day they hand it to me. If it were a breeder that I didn't know and trust I would either just NOT get one at all, or I'd want it straight out of the egg to minimize any damage that might occur.

Sorry, your poll needs a third choice: "It depends..."

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would take a hatchling but if were talking about someone who is new to tortoise keeping, then a yearling would probably be best.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tom said:
This completely depends on both the source AND who it's going to.

I feel compelled to spell it out that hatchlings are no harder to care for than yearlings. They are not more delicate or fragile, in my opinion. I will grant that they can dehydrate quicker due to their smaller mass, but with daily soaks, humidty and drinking water available, this factor is eliminated. All else is the same. All these hatchlings that don't make it are victims of a persistent myth that they need "desert" conditions and all the misconceptions that go along with that. If you have the right set up and get a hatchling from a good source, they live just fine and do every bit as well as yearlings. If you have the wrong set up, or you buy a hatchling that was started all wrong, nothing you do will save it. The only thing I do differently between hatchlings and yearlings is relax a little bit on the daily soaks, once they get some size on them. How that baby was cared from from hatching until you got it, has EVERYTHING to do with your success or failure. It is very rare for a tortoise to hatch out and just not be quite right. It does happen rarely, but the breeder can clearly see this within days, if not right away.

If I am getting a new tortoise, it depends on the source. If it was someone like Neal or Katherine or any of the known forum members here that know what they are doing and start them right, I don't care about the age, since I KNOW it got excellent care right up until the day they hand it to me. If it were a breeder that I didn't know and trust I would either just NOT get one at all, or I'd want it straight out of the egg to minimize any damage that might occur.

Sorry, your poll needs a third choice: "It depends..."

Sorry Tom, you know I am still in the "newbie" stage, at least in my opinion. And this is my 1st poll. Everytime I get on here I do my best to learn something new. I was just curious, giving the choice, which one people would pick. :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
For me, it depends. If I am trying to raise breeders, I would prefer the larger animal to gain the head start. If there is nothing substantial to be gained, it does not matter either way. Also, for some animals, there is less choice due to low supply. In those cases, I take what I can get (within reason). Generally, I would rather take a cosmetically flawless hatchling than an older animal whose development is less to my sense of aesthetics. Also, sometimes the price differential for just a small amount of growth is what I consider to be absurd. I am not willing to pay $1500 for an animal that is around nine months old when I can get a healthy hatching of the same type for $500 if I exercise a little patience and proceed to grow it out myself.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Chris this poll will offer up a large pool of opinions...which are interesting to read to say the least.

I would not have a preference myself...I do believe since I have had the little one month old and the nine month old RFs here I do find myself keeping on a every day soaking and feeding and sitting outside in the sun with them routine....then I have to make sure I am not bugging them so I only do quick peeks as I pass their enclosure....I want them to have the opportunity to feel like they are in their own world so to speak as I believe this will allow them time to settle in and feel secure in their environment....

Although they are little the only thing I notice I do differently with them vs the CDT adults is the daily soaks....as each day I take the adult CDTs out for strolls so they can munch and explore and exercise...they each give me clues if behavior that let me know who has an itching to go....I was ultra worried for the first day or two then remembered...hey, they are torts ....nothing less nothing more....just smaller versions of their grown counter parts....

I believe that if a person is a stickler for small details, large amounts of OCD behavior and some luck....then the ultra young torts are aok....but if you may be someone that is a bit opposite of that then perhaps a larger tort would be less stress....

Also, people need to understand that not all babies are destined to make it....just are not....hatchling failure is a real thing....whether it be a desert arid species or a wet tropical species...some wont make it...

Always it is sad when they pass....

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
I voted for a hatchling. my reason is the same for any pet I get. with getting a hatchling, I know if something goes wrong, I have myself to blame. I got my sulcata at one wk of age. went to the vet and got a clean bill of health. the one that I was going to bring home didn't look quite right so the store owner ordered me a new one. he seemed to me that he wasn't getting enough fluids. yet he was healthy when he came in. the pet store I got pokey from was very good, and i do lots of busness with, but they thought they only had to soak him 2 x wk. I didn't want the pet store to have the chance to mess things up with him. pokey gets eather two 10min soaks or one 20min soak a day. even with the little extra care that a hatchling takes, I would say I have to stick with hatchlings.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks so much for everyones input and votes! Very interesting things were said and I value everybodys opinion! Have a great day! :)

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
I actually have the benefit of working with three tortoises from the same breeder, and I received all of them at the same time a few weeks ago. One that's less than a month, one that is approximately six months, and one that is a year old.

I found that the hatchling acclimated much faster, ate the same day, doesn't mind soaks, isn't a picky eater, and doesn't mind so much being picked up. The two older ones have taken a bit longer to acclimate. It took several days for them to start eating, they definitely don't like soaks, they still pick certain things out of their food to eat and leave the rest, and the six month old makes something of a hissing noise when being picked up. The hatchling is wandering the enclosure some. The two older ones still come out only when I soak them and place them near their food. They are still just eating and going straight back to the hides.

Some things I would consider are the species itself, whether its being shipped or I'm picking it up, and how well do I know the breeder or current owner. But overall, I would want a hatchling. One that I believe would acclimate faster to my routine of housing, soaking, and feeding; without the struggle of breaking an old routine.

I really disliked having to 'starve out' a young tortoise that was returned to me. He was used to eating only Mazuri until he broke down and started eating the greens that I was feeding him. Watching him refuse to eat for four days straight was not pleasant.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well with all my personal drama the last 2+ months, I had forgot I even posted this poll/thread. But since I found it, I thought I would give it a bump to see if anyone else would like to comment on it. Have a great day! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.