Hatchling or yearling?

Would you rather get a hatchling or a yearling? And why?

• Hatchling

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Yearling

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I prefer right out of the egg. Now if it were being shipped then I would at the very least want its yolk sac completely absorbed and healed. I like to watch my hatchlings grow into adults, and theres no better way to do that than from a fresh hatchling.

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
My two are nearly 3 years old. I have had them for a month. I am no way experienced. I'm learning as I go along. I noticed they both don't like being handled much. So only handle them when to put them in the garden, bathe them and our them back in enclosure. I do handle them on occasions and put them on my lap. But I can tell the don't like it. Even jim who is more shy and is a little jumpy. Rosie just likes walking and walking. I was told jim had his growth spurt, maybe that's why!! I am not sure if tortoises are Bonding reptiles. Maybe it's because I have not had them from hatchlings :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I voted for a yearling only because you didn't offer an adult. I like buying adults so I know exactly what I am getting as far as sex and looks.

I really personally dislike working with hatchlings. Yes they are cute, but I just don't really like babies as much as older animals. Doesn't depend on if it is a tortoise, a dog, a cat, or a human.

I have to admit however, I like setting up enclosures for hatchlings, because they tend to let the plants live long enough for you to get a day or two of enjoyment out of your hard work. :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I got a hatchling, but it is a tough decision for me, hatchling or yearling... EVERY DAY, even when things are going right, I worry and fret about little Carl. I soak him probably way too much, because I refuse to let him get dehydrated.

But, then again, I think I would honestly do the same thing with a yearling. I like that hatchlings acclimate better, I would have had a heart attack, being a first time tortoise owner, if I were to sit and watch my baby not eat for days. My hatchling literally ate ten minutes after I took him out of the box.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Oooh, I'm torn on this one.

:tort: Hatchling Pros and Cons :tort:

;) Pros:
I'm a tortoise snob. I'm very particular about diet and my torts need to be outdoors. A healthy first year is absolutely vital to a tort's long-term success. So, for me, I want to purchase a tort as young as possible because thats the only way to guarantee that it has a healthy first year.

:( Cons:
1.) It takes alot of time and patience to raise a hatchling.
2.)They need to be monitored more closely than yearlings - i.e.their temps need to be exact or they get sick, they flip themselves over more often and need to be righted, etc.
3.) Even with perfect care, some fail to thrive. There's nothing worse than getting attached to a sweet little baby tortoise and then watching him die knowing there's nothing you can do about it.

:tort: Yearling Pros and Cons :tort:

;) Pros:
1.) They are more robust and forgiving.
2.) They're past the critical stage and "failure to thrive" is far less and issue

:( Cons:
1.) You cannot guarantee that their first year of care was ideal unless you acquire the tort from a trusted friend.

So, my answer to the OP is.... hmmm.... both and neither.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Hatchling because I want to watch it grow big. See the different changes from birth.

netz67

5 Year Member
u.k
for my choice i would say hatch-ling as then i know it hasnt had wrong husbandry prior to myself , even though we did loose a hatchling leopard for no apparent reason , having the same living conditions as its clutch mate still alive and healthy 2 years after,
but the bond i have with my hatchlings is better than my torts that came to me at one year plus

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Neal said:
Depends.

For me and others who have experience with reptiles and raising hatchlings, I would want a tortoise as soon as possible from hatchling out of the egg.

For someone with no experience raising hatchling, I think it would better for them to purchase an older tortoise. Raising hatchlings is a lot of work and can be tricking to balance everything they require. An older tortoise would be a lot more forgiving.

2nd this.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
When I got my sulcata she was estimated to be about 6 months old....even tho I did a lot of research and reading about them before I got her, I didn't know anything until I joined the TFO. After I read about humidity and proper enclosure...she has been doing great. I wanted to try with a new hatchling so I got Zenna when she was 2 months old.....I stressed about the proper temps and humidity since she was so tiny. She is now a beast and growing ever so fast. So while I didn't know much other then what I had read I still enjoyed raising 2 wonderful hatchlings and watching them as they grow and get HUGE...:D

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
I have the time and patience to put into it. Plus I give them a proper diet, Outdoor time (can't stand to see people put a tortoise in a aquarium all day with artificial everything), and plenty of hydration. If you follow the right guidelines and put a lot of time and effort into it, you're a lot less likely to fail. That being said; I'll take either one but I would rather go with a young hatchling.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I picked hatchling. I love babies, I have seven children, and l think it would be easier to bond with a baby than with a yearling or adult. I am firm believer that these tortoises do have feelings for us. My tortoise does not seem to have bonded with me but its young and I have not had it that long where as my box turtles some have bonded and others have not. I do worry a lot about the babies but I would do that regardless. I am a born worry wart. Great Poll!:)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
lovelyrosepetal said:
I picked hatchling. I love babies, I have seven children, and l think it would be easier to bond with a baby than with a yearling or adult. I am firm believer that these tortoises do have feelings for us. My tortoise does not seem to have bonded with me but its young and I have not had it that long where as my box turtles some have bonded and others have not. I do worry a lot about the babies but I would do that regardless. I am a born worry wart. Great Poll!:)
I like how you put that! Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.