Hatchling redfoot problems. softning plastron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have great respect for Terry and he definitely raises some pretty babies, but I DO mix calcium powder into my hatchling's greens two or three times a week, and as soon as it warms up in the spring, I move them outside for sunshine.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Soaking will not exacerbate the softening plastron. You should continue to do so to keep up the hydration. I have no idea whether "baby food soaks" can help a little or not in this situation. I probably still might do it just to get more nutrients in him. Baby food soaks is putting some unflavored pedialyte and some jarred baby food (carrots, squash) in the plain water you normally soak your tort in. Do not attempt to add more calcium or up the frequency of when you give calcium to your tort to compensate for his lack of it; more calcium than needed can be just as harmful. Just sprinkle some 2-3 times lightly over food, provide uvb light or sun, and as insurance keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure at all times to let the tort decide if he needs more. I can't help you with which calcium supplement you should use. Maybe someone else can recommend a brand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most calcium supplements are just that - calcium. I doubt any one is any better or worse than another. I like to use the one that doesn't contain D3 because my babies get real sunshine.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
brought him outside today. more active when outdoors and his plastron is firmer than yesterday.
I work all day, too. But, I do take my cherryhead hatchling out about three times per day. Ten minutes in the morning, five minutes when I come home at lunch, and another ten minutes at night. It's quite a bit of fun to see the little thing roaming.